Can they survive?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Willowynd, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

My sister brought over 2 bunnies on Thanksgiving. Her son said he would take them from a neighbor that was moving- without asking grandma who is allergic to anything with fur. So they figured since I had rabbits- I would take them. I told her only if they were large rabbits- I will just put them in with the lops in the pen. She said- oh yes- they are big!

I keep my french lops outside and used to keep rex rabbits as well years ago with no issues, but these guys are tiny compared to them. I am having serious doubts that they will be able to take the freezing cold temperatures out here. These guys are mini rex (or some cross with rex fur)- I doubt they weigh more than 2-3 lbs. I am not going to put them in my rabbit pen and don't have an indoor area for them. If I leave them in a wire cage outside with a make shift roof on it- will they survive? or should I just give them away? They are pretty cute- but really what do I need with a bunch of mini rexes that can't be used for food? Oh- I say a bunch because the doe is supposedly pregnant. sigh.

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

as long as they have a wind break they should be fine, do you have an out door shed? i had some small rabbits like this for a while and kept them outside in the barn all winter and they did fine,
    just pack the nest box really tight and full when she kindles,

you can use them as meat, just cause they are small doesnt make them inedible, do you use RAW feeding for your dogs?

also small rex type rabbits are good in the pet world too.

3. Willowynd

Thanks for responding. I don't have a shed with any space available- mine is packed full. The only other buildings I have are full with either dogs or chickens. Yes, I feed my dogs raw but that would be alot of rabbits to butcher for a day's meal- I go through about #20 of meat a day. I guess I could sell them as pets.
    I guess I will try the wind break for them. Now- can you help me with nest box dimensions for her?

4. KSALguy

how big are the boxes you have for the other rabbits?
    and about how big is she?

what type of box do you use?
    i used a solid wooden box with small drainage holes drilled in the bottom and an opening just big enough for the rabbit to get in on the side on one end and a flip top lid.
    it was about 15x8.5x8.5 (rough Estamate) give or take

5. Willowynd

I have not bred my lops yet. I still have the buck separated from the does. They will burrow underground and have thier babies- or can use the shelters (crate halves turned over and filled with straw) as they will be free range as soon as the pen is completed (almost done). I would say the mini- rex female is about the size of small dutch rabbit or polish rabbit size. We weighted the male and he was about 2 1/2-3 lbs lbs- she is maybe 2 - 2 1/2 lbs.

6. LadyofTheBarn

LadyofTheBarn I Love My Dairy Goats <3

The best way to figure out the size of a nest box it to custom fit it to the doe's breed. You can use her to help you. Wide enough for her to turn around comfortably and deep enough so that she's not so nervous about the small nest box size that she ignores/mauls the litter. A fourteen to fifteen by about ten inch box should do nicely. If you'd like I can go get the exact size of box that I use for my own Netherland Dwarfs and get back to you tomorrow.

Allison

7. KSALguy

if your putting the lops into a colony setting you can put her in a simmilar setting, just smaller,

also if your controlling the bucks access to the does you could put this doe in the colony with the others and just take her out to be bred, and or take her out when the lop buck is in with the lop does,

you could house both bucks in hutches and bring the does to them to be bred when you want them to have litters, and that way the little doe would be safe liveing with the lops in the colony.

just a thought

8. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

Big does might whomp on her in a colony though, that would be my only concern. Mini-rex are pretty tough little rabbits, if you kept the false dwarfs from the litters and bred them you'd have mini-meat rabbits that could get up to 4 and a half pounds. While smaller, mini-rex can still carry a good bit of meat. In fact, if I was going to set up a colony for meat rabbits thats what I would use, because the smaller rabbits would be fine for my three person family, and I could get rex pelts. Would take longer to get them to good size. Nest box needs to be 10x12 or 8x12, I often use 10 or 12 inch flower pots with a doorway cut, works well. Good luck!!

9. Willowynd

Thank you all for the advice. I found a plastic hut in with the stuff that came with the rabbits- it is about 10-12 inches square. I guess I can use that? I was wondering myself if the lop does would beat her up. I think for now I will just keep her and her beau caged. I will decide after I see how well these babies sell if I am going to continue with them or not.