Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Voice of Reason
53,243 Posts
This is evidently a follow-up article, since the motives of the government are not clearly spelled out in the article. However, it appears that there's a dispute over whether their organization is exempt from the Food Safety Code. Evidently the government doesn't believe that they are exempt.

Regardless of whether they are or aren't exempt, raiding the co-op with guns drawn isn't the way to go about enforcing the code. They should have asked a judge to compel them to comply.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Sounds to me like there's a lot more to the story. Hard to tell. Law Enforcement today is pretty savvy about making raids when there's so much bad publicity to be had..whatwith the internet and digital photos, videos, etc.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Found another side in the Chronicle-Telegram from that area:

“This is just about getting a license. It’s a question of, ‘have they met the criteria required of everybody else in Lorain County who sells eggs and meat and other perishable items?’ If they have no regulations on them at all, the results can be very serious.”

Serazin said the business owners, John and Jackie Stowers, maintained they were exempt from having to be licensed.

“They blocked every effort to try to get information,” including ordering two county health officials off their property prior to the Dec. 1 execution of a search warrant by Lorain County sheriff’s deputies.

Sheriff’s Capt. Rich Resendez denied online reports of a SWAT team being part of the search.

“There was no SWAT team there. They had one uniformed patrol officer who wore a black-style uniform who is assigned to a warrants unit, but that’s his daily uniform. There were no guns held to anybody’s head.”

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Because I do not understand the reasoning behind this at all....

http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=84445
Well, to start with, I think the problem begins when you place "reasoning" and WorldNetDaily in the same sentence... I see them as a partisan fringe "media" which don't really conform to any kind of journalistic standard.

As to the substance of the story itself, I think all the hyperbole around "SWAT teams" does a disservice to a potentially legitimate issue.

The government has a role in ensuring food safety by enforcing licensing standards for food establishments. Citizens have a right to produce and consume their own foods without necessarily being regulated in this fashion. At the heart of the matter is to what extent can individuals work together, before they become a food establishment? And depending on the answer to that, is this outfit a true co-op of producers, or is the "co-op" just semantics in an attempt to do an end-run on the regulations?

I think reasonable people can take different positions on when regulations should kick in. But to start using all this stormtrooper language makes me think this group may be more fanatical than not, and unlikely to recogize any role for government or regulation.

·
Premium Member
42,708 Posts
This story puts me in mind of a friend of mine who was riding his motorcycle in a helmet law state, without a helmet. The officer opted to pull up alongside and run him off the hiway at 55 miles per hour instead of simply turning on the blue lites or siren to pull him over. Ummm, if safety was the issue??????? :D

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I see them as a partisan fringe "media" which don't really conform to any kind of journalistic standard.
I'm surprised you feel that way since the majority of the articles on WND are from other sources such as the LA Times, NY TImes, WSJ, etc... Very few articles are actually written by WND.

Also, why does it matter where the article came from if the information is correct? As I understand the situation from what I have read, the Stowers didn't "benefit" from placing bulk orders for other people, they just used their account to place the orders. If my neighbor were to order bulk food and I asked them to order me some stuff and all I paid was cost, would my neighbor need a license? IDTS.

As to the substance of the story itself, I think all the hyperbole around "SWAT teams" does a disservice to a potentially legitimate issue.
Well, when some people dress in black and enter your home with guns drawn, it would be a good guess that they are part of the SWAT team. I think most people would make the same mistake in identifing strangers with guns in their home.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I'm surprised you feel that way since the majority of the articles on WND are from other sources such as the LA Times, NY TImes, WSJ, etc... Very few articles are actually written by WND.
Looking at the WND homepage, about 60% of the headlines are attributed as WND articles, with the remainder coming from a variety of media sources. The ones authored by WND tend to be the ones lacking in journalistic standard, the most partisan, and (surprisingly enough) the ones quoted most frequently in GC....

Also, why does it matter where the article came from if the information is correct? As I understand the situation from what I have read, the Stowers didn't "benefit" from placing bulk orders for other people, they just used their account to place the orders. If my neighbor were to order bulk food and I asked them to order me some stuff and all I paid was cost, would my neighbor need a license? IDTS.
Well, it matters in determining whether the information is correct. If the situation is as you describe, I think the Stowers have a decent argument. I have no faith that this is the actual situation if that info is derived from WND or libertarian blogs with an ax to grind. I think most of the reputable local media would take more of a "wait and see" approach before concluding that the Stowers were simply doing favours for their neighbours. I guess it will come out in the legal process.

Well, when some people dress in black and enter your home with guns drawn, it would be a good guess that they are part of the SWAT team. I think most people would make the same mistake in identifing strangers with guns in their home.
Well, the Chronicle Telegraph story suggests that it was one person dressed in a black uniform, accompanied by county health officials (who probably wear suits). It has not been established that guns were out of the holsters, and the Sheriff has denied that guns were pointed at heads.

I know that this couple and their supporters have been relating various accounts, I am just not sure those can be taken at face value.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Ok..do I understand ?? They were giving the co-op foods to people after the people had placed their orders through them for a better wholesale price between them..right ?? Or did she actually have a little room called the Manna Store (?) and people came into it to buy things, eggs, etc. ?? If it is the store idea I think they are in big trouble. If they are bagging up foods, as in our natural food stores in our area, and selling them within store hours and running an actual store then they should have gotten a license for tax collecting and paying taxes and a food permit for making sure the foods they sold were clean and packaged up in an approved country registered kitchen. It was up to them to find out these "laws" for permits not the county to come to them. If I had any kind of public business I would want to have insurance to cover this for my own protections. Also, about taking their own personal foods from their home. How does the county know that the foods in a room off your kitchen is not the "store room" for the store and the foods in freezer not foods for the store also. It is certainly a can of worms. I not sticking up for anyone hear..but did the police actually point their guns at the family or were they on their belts as part of the uniform. I don't understand the part about herding the family in a room for hours at a time. Husband at work ?? Doesn't news travel fast in a small communtiy..and many hours of the family being "held captive' didn't reach him at work ?? I raise dairy goats and make my own butter, cheese and chickens for meat and eggs. I am often asked if I will sell milk to others. My answer is no. I see it as if anyone gets sick in that family they will say it is my milk that did it and I'm in trouble for it. People are strange when something happens to a family member especially children. So needless to say...I just don't get into it and the safety insurance part of people coming on my property getting hurt is a big issue with me and safety for them. Maybe it could have been handled better..maybe there is more to this story but I think the burden was on the family who had the co-op. If they have been using this also as a tax deduction on their income tax...well...I hope they can figure this all out. Computer taking..used for illegal business..sure they will take it. Just remember this.."a county that will give you everything you want..can take everything you have".. I would like to hear more about this family. Hopefully someone will keep us updated.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
Ok..do I understand ?? They were giving the co-op foods to people after the people had placed their orders through them for a better wholesale price between them..right ?? Or did she actually have a little room called the Manna Store (?) and people came into it to buy things, eggs, etc. ?? If it is the store idea I think they are in big trouble. QUOTE]

Sounds like a True Address and Physical Building to me, you can even order over the net, that means she has a warehouse and is shipping out of same.
1. – Manna Storehouse
a. Manna Storehouse is a private business and does not sell to the public. Only members in “good standing” are eligible to purchase products.

b. Manna Storehouse buys products in bulk and sells products to members at discounted prices. No other services are expressed or implied with this membership.
http://www.mannastorehouse.com/index.html
And as I remember the first artical written had a Picture taken 4 years ago of one of their sheep on it~! Not a very up to date reporting I would say.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts