Can someone answer some medicine questions for me please?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by zameluzza, Mar 25, 2006.

1. zameluzza

zameluzza :)

Hello there,
    I have tons of questions and I like to start with some medicine once.

I'm a beginner when it comes to sheeps, in the past months I learnd a lot and still learn every day.

I would like to do it right with the sheeps so my ? are

what do I need in my medicine cabinet?
    We have many things at home, but most of the stuff is for cattle.

What vacinations do they need? name of medicine and maeby dosage, for Lambs and sheeps
    I also have some TASVAX 8 for my Llamas, is that the vacine I can give to my sheeps? how much can I give to a Lamb?

what devormer? how much? internal or injectable?

what else do I need?

I have some Amprol here at home, that one of my friends gave me, was it to treat coccidiosis?? what is the dosage?

I have some Selenium-E

my intensions are to make a little notebook with all the informations in it. this would help me a lot since in all my books there are never all the infos I need.

Oh jeh one more thing, as you have noticed my english sucks, so please excuse me if I'm hard to understand :eek:

thanks
    Carmen

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

We're surrounded by Dutch and Swiss farmers so your english is starting to read as normal as it sounds to me! :)
    I can't think of a single cattle med that you can't use on sheep except pour on wormers. We use Tasvax, the sheep dosage etc. is right on the box. Selenium E 1/2 cc per lamb as soon as they are born. There are sheep drench versions of ivomec, or the cattle doseage of injectable (to weight) is fine. I use Safeguard crumbles the same doseage as for cattle too. Pour on's do not work for internals parasites and vice versa, Injectable Ivomec won't kill externals on sheep. Delice pour on will kill external parasites though. Injectable antibiotics are the same doseage as for cattle. Amprol should work if you need it but i use sulfamethazine, cattle doseage.

A major difference in keeping sheep compared to cattle is the mineral suppliments. Sheep need mineral made for sheep and can't have cattle versions as they have added copper. I also use loose blue salt over blocks.

3. zameluzza

zameluzza :)

Thanks Ross :D

*LOL* We also are Swiss, well I'm italian but grew up in switzerland,
    many european around here to.

thanks for the help on the meds.

I had twins that where born the 31 January, the mom a kathadin dad a horned dorset did not wanted the ewe lamb :( the baby was up and trying so very hard to get some milk, the mon just pushed her away. non stop :(
    she did accept the boy.
    since day one the girl was sick scour for 3 weeks, she was drinking but just kept on having the scour.

like I said I'm a beginner, so we tried everything we could for her, asked 2 neighbours that have sheeps, one gave me some injectable ivomec for sheep (well not ivomec brand) but same thing.

gave vitamin, pennicilin, electrolyte she just did not improve.

one day I was at the store getting some bepto and when I came back she was dying :(
    I placed her in a corner and told myself that this just had to be :(
    went inside to do some housework, and my mind was with her, so I went back to the barn and took her inside, she was almost gone, I just did not want her to die by herself.

as I was getting inside DH came home and he gave her 3 needles of dextrose, 30 minutes later she was drinking milk :)

she has grown since, she is still small but doing super.
    her brother looks amazing we don't want to put him in to the freezer no more, maby I find someone later on that needs a ram and I could trade for something.

so now this is one of my reasons way I need to learn more, maeby if I had known more before the baby would not have gone trought so much.

Carmen