Can seeds be sterile?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by katydidagain, Aug 8, 2004.

1. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

I'm not asking this right I'm sure. I saved seeds from an Armenian cucumber a couple of years ago; planted them at same time as viners. The vines are massive with many blossoms which the bees are loving but so far no fruit. Other cukes are bearing reliably and have been for a few weeks; I'll have a ripe cantalope fairly soon. Should I tear them out? How long should I wait? A tiny garden doesn't permit wasted space.

katy

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I'm getting no cukes on my gerkins, which are fresh seed purchased this year....maybe some are real slow. i've never heard of an armenian cuke....is it a hybrid (which may be a problem)?

3. katydidagain

Gosh, this "logged in/logged out" thing drives me bonkers!

Baker Seeds sells a striped variety so I doubt it's a hybrid; it's seedless (unless you let it ripen), ribbed, long and light green. I believe I raised some a few years back from these seeds--not sure. Maybe I'm jumping the gun; I'm having the same problem with a vining Italian squash and pumpkins--flowers but no fruit--these are fresh seeds. I'm still picking arugula; no signs of going to seed. What a strange year!

katy

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

sounds like too much nitrogen

5. katydidagain

Rose,
    I'd be inclined to believe excess nitrogen if not for the fact that the squash, which is doing nothing, is in the same bed and sharing the trellis with cornichons and cantalopes which are going gangbusters. The Armenian cukes are next to pickling cukes which are overbearing. (Told you I have a tiny garden--the trellis spans the path between 2 4x6' beds--it's a jungle out there!) I'm going to watch these 2 non performers for a couple of weeks--the other plants could use the space if they don't put out soon.

katy

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Nip out the ends of the vines. If that don't make them produce, you can pull them out, but wait a couple weeks and see what happens. If they have blossoms they surely can set on pickles.

7. katydidagain

Will,
    I've always wondering about "topping" viners or other veggies. What exactly happens? Do they send offshoots lower down like houseplants or does it effectively shorten the season and reduce yield? I'm a pruning chicken; this was my 1st year whacking grapes and blackberries and they did well. Should "trimming" be a vegetable garden practice, too?

katy

8. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Most vining plants get carried away with long vines in rich soil. Nipping the ends of the vines causes them to put more strength into producing seed which is the part we eat. Brambles (Briars) mmostly need to have all the old canes removed each year while they are dormant.
    The berries are produced on the new canes which will look green compared to the old ones. Different plants need a little different treatment, but that's a general rule.