Can real estate be bought anonymously?

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Bellyman, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Bellyman

Bellyman Well-Known Member

Mainly Cumberland and Fentress counties, or the closest edges of Morgan, Putnam, Overton or White. I think my favorite part of it is southern Fentress county.

2. stachoviak@msn.

stachoviak@msn. Well-Known Member

I only read part way through these posts.
    If the agent is lowering the price, as I believe she is,
    it won't do you any good to go with a different name or anonymously because she won't submit any offer from anybody.
    it is not so easy to fire the broker. and if you wait for the listing to run out, she will still get her commission.
    all she has to do is produce your offer that she never submitted.
    she sounds like a shyster, and I would go talk to the property owners in person so they don't lower the price any more.
    in fact, they should demand that the realtor put the price back up to where they started,
    they can leave it there and people can make offers of lesser $$$'s . no need to lower the price..
    IMHO.

PrairieClover likes this.

3. Bellyman

This is not over. The seller's agent is giving the appearance of acting, somewhat under duress, but may actually be being held accountable, by persons bigger than me. The latest word is that the seller wants a few days to give us a reply (I'm hearing this 3rd hand). It wasn't a "hell no", or even a "no", it was a "we need a few days". We also hear that one of the sellers is dealing with health issues and the timing is not so good. (Don't know how much accuracy there may be in that. We're willing to give them a few days, either way.) So, like I said earlier, the fat lady ain't sung yet. Not getting my hopes up. But recognizing, that there may still be a way to salvage the transaction.

4. FarmerKat

FarmerKat Well-Known Member

I was just curious if there was an update ...

5. Bellyman

The update... at least as it stands today...

The seller and the sellers agent have completely severed ties with us and our agent. They do not wish to communicate or negotiate. (And it's not like we're talking about lowball offers, the last offer was $30k over figures I've been given as "fair market value" by three different local sources and is not far off of asking price.) It continues to sit on the market.

We have walked away for now and are about to close on another place. The place we're buying is not what we had in mind but we see potential to do some good things to the place and add quite a bit of value to it by fixing things that were not well thought out when built 12 years ago. It would not surprise me to see us fix up the place we're buying and have another crack at the place that's been such a headache several years from now. It's possible it could be part of an estate by then, or the situation could change based upon the age of the owners.

Basically, we finally let it go. The fact that it's nearing 4 years on the market in a desirable area is telling. (The place we're buying is about 5 miles from it.)

That's about all I can say right now. Whether we'll have opportunity at some point in the future, I can't say. I haven't ruled out the possibility.

6. FarmerKat

FarmerKat Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. I hope all goes smoothly with the purchase of the place you chose.

I think it is very telling to have a place sit on the market for 4 years. Maybe the sellers really don't want to sell but have to pretend they are selling for some other reason?

There was a place we looked at few years ago (2013) but was way over priced. They were asking close to $300K. It was not worth that. We discussed an offer around $220K but the listing agent said he would not even present it to the seller as it was "insulting". So we never put the offer on paper and walked away. The seller switched agents, then went back to the original agent and I noticed it sold earlier this year (yes, that's 4 years later) for $215K.

AmericanStand and Bellyman like this.
  7. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

I've seen places "For Sale" that have stayed on the market for years. I know of one place that has been on the market for probably close to 4 years. The owners moved to another State after retiring but come back from time to time since one of their children lives in the area. They have gotten offers on the house, but keep saying "The offers are too low." These people have the money - so it really doesn't matter if they sell it or not.

If a person is motivated to sell, they will. If not, they won't sell for any price - because it's "too low". Time has a way of wearing on a person. If the person has money - chances are it really doesn't matter if they sell the place or not. They will continue to pay property taxes and keep heat and utilities hooked up, and the expenses of that property don't even put a strain at all on finances.

But if someone starts to get tired of the taxes, utilities, and keeping the lawn mowed or snow shoveled after a few years, they start to think "I would be better off to sell this property rather than to keep having expenses in maintaining it as well as the annual property taxes." When they start adding up the annual expenses - taxes, utilities, maintenance, etc. they can see how lowering the price and just "getting rid of it" is a better option rather than "holding out" for the selling price they think it's worth.

A change of the owner's health, or the death of an owner can also easily motivate the other owner (or the heirs) to get rid of the property as well.

Bellyman, you could be very right that in a few years, you could have another opportunity at that property. In the meantime, I hope the property you have found to buy turns into a purchase for you. Some hard work and remodeling can easily increase the value of the property. Good luck and please keep us updated.

8. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

Here in Illinois that’s a huge no no and will likely result in loss of license for-the agent and possibly the broker.

9. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

Curious if the original place has sold? And price....
    The whole story you told sounds surreal...something is afoot. I'd think agents have a duty to apprise owners of all offers, especially written offers.
    Not sure how much power an agent has over a listing. For instance, if you bought place directly from owner, could sale be consummated. The agent would have to take you to court for loss of commission.
    We used to have shenanigans where buyer and seller agent could be the same...outlawed now.

Aside: I actually had a real estate agent scream at me (like high pitched wail) for suggesting she take a hit on a commission. I felt the offer presented was too low, and the only way I'd take it, is if she took a hit. I wasn't saying she had to take less commission, but I said the only way I'll sell at that price is if she took a haircut.
    I was willing to wait for a better offer (heck, it was a Vancouver condo and those things sell - we were only at 30 day mark).
    She really went ballistic. Well, next day, she was calmer, and agreed to deal. Rather funny, all that drama, as she took me out for supper once deal went through....go figure...lol. Being an agent in Vancouver is a license to print money.

Mickie3 likes this.
  10. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

It's always possible the seller or seller's agent comes back to you after their property continues to sit without selling.

I can have a mean streak in me when such things happen - so if they would come back to me - I might be very tempted to tell them "Go pound sand."