Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... living on wire?

Per someone's excellent suggestion, I brought some ceramic tiles out from the deep dark recesses of the basement, and placed them in the cages with the rabbits to give them a break from the wire (and maybe help cool them off).

Funny thing is, the rabbits seem to prefer the wire. <scratching head>

Is it possible for rabbits to be happier on wire than another surface? Am I projecting too many human attributes/needs on to these lagamorphs?

Do I need to get a hobby and leave the rabbits alone? ;)

TIA,
Pony!

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Pony, please see the thread: "You know you're obsessed when..." :D

I think its's nice to give them a choice. Maybe they just need time to get used to the tiles. If they still aren't using them in a week or so, time enough then to think about trying something else. It could be that there is better air flow on the wire and that is why they prefer it.

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
I bought the plastic gridded resting mats for mine. I've never seen one lay on theirs, but several of them do enjoy flipping them around with their noses! I tried wooden boards once, for a rabbit who got sore feet on the wire. He used it to pee on, and stayed on the wire. :shrug:

Meg

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Mine sometimes don't eat all their hay and then they like it to rest on. From that point I consider it bedding and not food, of course, but it seems to make them happy... so what's a bit of hay now and again?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I have tried giving mine boards to lay on after someone told me it was cruel to keep them on wire. Not one my rabbits used the boards to rest on prefer the wire.. the boards however did make nice bathroom spots :shrug:

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have found one thing my rabbits prefer over wire. I got a bunch of those plastic crates they put pop cans in. The dented can store here gives them if you buy soda. I put them in the rabbits pen upside down. they like to lay on them and shove them around. And when a doe has babies I use them right side up to put the babies in when I kick them out of the nest box and I put some of their bedding in it so they can crawl in and out. Later I turn them over so the babies can go under and on top to play. My rabbits really like them thank goodness they are free. Don't tell the rabbits if they find out they were free they won't like them anymore.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Once the summer heat is past, I'll give my buns a cardboard carton each. They love hopping in an out and "remodelling" it by chewing holes in it. Most of them destroy the box in about a week but my buck kept his as a kennel for at least a couple of months before it collapsed. Some of them like cardboard pop flats for lounging in, especially as it gets cooler. That wire must feel pretty cold once there is frost at night. Free entertainment for them while they last and when the boxes get worn out or soiled it is easy to either burn or compost them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts