Can rabbits co-hab with chickens?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by longearsfarm, Apr 21, 2006.

1. longearsfarm

longearsfarm Well-Known Member

We "rescued" a good size Californian neutered boy...can he live a safe and healthy life on the bottom of the coop and share the chickens' completely fenced in outdoor run? Obviously separate food/water of course. There are several folks I know locally who do this but just wanted to double check with you experts out there.

Sorry, he's not a meat rab, just a pet...How can you resist a rab named Marcus Aurelius ? LOL

Valerie, who hasn't had a rabbit since childhood and is tickled by this one!
    LongEars Farm

2. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a doe in with chickens all winter two years ago. She did great and didn't seem to mind the chickens or they her. It looked funny to see her lined up at the water dish with the chickens, though. ;)

Jennifer

3. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

I would be rather concerned about him coming into contact with chicken manure...rabbits can catch samonella from chickens and beyond that, rabbits are rather sensitive to digestive upsets.

On the other hand, I got to see inside a small indoor rabbitry-chicken house where the rabbits were in cages and laying hens ranged underneath. The house was deep-bedded and the rabbits were just along the outside wall. In the center of the house was the chickens' nestboxes and feeders/waterers. They've been doing it for a while and it seems to have worked nicely for them. There was VERY little odor and the place was spacious and well-lit.