Can pumpkins be grown in a container?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Timedess, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Timedess

Timedess Guest

Specifically, if I were to try to grow something small, like a sugar pie pumpkin, in a 5 gallon bucket, would it work? If I remember right, I'd need 2 plants in order to set fruit..... It's been a couple of years and I can't remember.... but I am dying to try it.... I *need* a garden, LOL!

2. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

I'm sure that you could grow them in a container (like a 5 gallon bucket), but they may not produce as much. And you might have to water a lot to keep it from drying out. I think there are "Bush" varieties that would work well, but I'm not sure if any good eating varieties of pumpkin come in bush form. But no, you only need one plant to set fruit. Cucurbits have both male and female flowers.

3. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

I suppose it couldn't hurt to try... I'd give it something to climb, though, and sling the fruit in pantyhose or similar.

4. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I would plant 2 seeds in each of several buckets, then thin them to 1 seed when they have 2 true leaves or before the plant starts to run.
    I wouldn't try just one plant because your chances of a male and female flower being open at the same time would be slim. if you don't care about seed purity for seed saving, then the other plants could be of a summer squash type such as zuchinni or patty pan. They seem to have many more flowers open on a regular basis. You can also hand polinate when both a male and female flower are open by putting pollen from the male on the female. The female being the one with the fruit right behind the flower.

5. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Not to be a naysayer, but....

I tried growing standard pumpkins (can't remember the type) in much bigger containers than 5gal buckets--they were round plastic planters, 2 feet tall and 2 feet across. They grew ok, got a few flowers each, and then stopped growing, failed to thrive, and eventually died.

I later read that cucurbits like pumpkins can put down 6' long roots, and I thought maybe that was the reason they didn't thrive in my big containers. Also, plants in containers are more susceptible to drought, and pumpkins are pretty thirsty.

Maybe a bush variety of pumpkin would work better? I grew one (in the ground) last year that did pretty well (until they got attacked by squash vine borers)--I think they were called Cherokee Bush Pumpkins.

6. Timedess

Timedess Guest

Thanks for all the input y'all! :)