Can pigs eat ground chicken?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Judith, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member

OK, i know this is going to be a "hot topic" What are your opinions about feeding ground chicken (organically reared no hormones)(I could cook it or feed raw???) and the left over chicken feed to my hogs. I have a limitless supply of both available for free. I would of course be adding veggies and chop to the mix but do you think it would be a problem? i have seen old boars run down chicken on the hoof and eat them...opinions please. let's try to be nice and no flaming on this one it is a serious question.

Thanks a bunch,
    judith

2. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We do not feed our hogs any meat at any time.

I have no proof that it is harmful but I do know about Mad Cow Disease so I'm Not taking any chances.

My Opinion is Don't, but that is up to you.
    :idea:

Have a great day.

3. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

We have fed cooked meat to hogs in the past with no negative repercussions . The fact that the meat is organic is a positive. As somone else stated, I also would be a little leary of feeding any uncooked meat at this time.

I would also assume that chicken feed would have no detremental effects on your hogs. It would seem as though grain is grain, no matter how it is ground.

Either way, good luck and let us know how it works out.

Just curious, how do you have unlimited access to organic chickens? Do you raise them or what?

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I have no qualms about feeding leftover cooked chicken to my pigs. I raise the chcikens myself and know they are healthy. Mine have killed and eaten a few chickens and a duck and are in excellent health. When they were orphaned babies, I raised them partially on chicken broth, before their teeth came in.

5. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member

Quick response here, thank you all for your input! The chickens are raised by a friend of mine for a specialty market. Any chickens that are too small to ship on shipping day are mine for the taking.(usually about 1000!!)I have all the chicken I could ever eat , so do my dogs the neighbors dogs and so on. That is why i was wondering about the pig feed. I know that BSE is a problem in cattle but a cow eats grass, they do not eat meat. Pigs in nature eat ANYTHING. Also the ground feed that is left over from the batch is mine. When the new chicks come in they want the auto feeders clean as organic feed spoils very easily.really a nice deal for me!

6. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Yes!

Cooked is far better - poultry meat is VERY liable to carry salmonella, which is very likely to breed quickly unless it is killed off by thorough early cooking.

7. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

I have been told that of all the animals the pig is the one with a digestive system most like ours. So what is safe for us is very most likely safe for the pigs.

But avoid feeding them Soylent Green as this may introduce recursion into the food chain which is never a good thing. :D :D

8. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

I have been told that of all the animals the pig is the one with a digestive system most like ours. So what is safe for us is very most likely safe for the pigs.

But avoid feeding them Soylent Green as this may introduce recursion into the food chain which is never a good thing. :D :D

9. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I feed my pigs cooked meat too. (accept for pork! wouldn't hurt them, just gives me the creeps!:D )
    Sometimes my hogs have been know to grab and eat chickens, feathers and all, when they get too close to their feed pan. 8O

10. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member

I kind of figured that if pigs will eat humans they really shouldnt have a problem with chicken 8) Sorry that was gross but right now a case is being investigated here in my home town. A man fed 30 women to his pigs, the part that is amazing to me is that they are actually finding DNA evidence! Man people are weird these days. Never heard of anything so gross when i was growing up....

11. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

8O WOW 30 women! How awful!!

12. Kathy

Kathy Member

I would check on the analysis of the chicken feed and compare it to what is acceptable for pigs as the minerals in the chicken feed may be too high in certain minerals. Especially check out the sodium, copper and that sort. I don't know if pigs are particularly sensitive to certain minerals (like sheep and copper) but it would be a good idea to find out. Otherwise, lucky you to have all that feed for free :D

13. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I heard that case on NPR months ago and then it dropped out of the media here. I was wondering what had happened. Truly horrific and right out of a horror movie. I wonder which came first the movie or the reality?

14. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member

we are not sure when the "Pickton" murders actually happened. Sad to say but alot of the Ladies were either homeless or prostitutes so no one even knew that they went missing. They sure have dug up Port Coquitlam looking for evidence. He has been arrested but know one know what he will be convicted on. The RCMP keep finding more women. It is soo sad.

15. COUNTRYSIDERTX

COUNTRYSIDERTX Member

after a hard day of cleaning our chickens we give the pigs the leftovers, heads, feet, intestines, feathers what ever. we have never had a problem.

16. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Pigs are not picky,they will eat anything.Theey eat like a bunch of Pigs. :D

big rockpile

17. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member

thanks for all the info folks ! It is truely nice to have this list, so us dumb city folk, don't do nutin silly!!! Seriously I learn alot on this board and would be lost without it!