Can nubians birth a boer kid?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by hermitfarmer, Oct 12, 2005.

1. hermitfarmer

hermitfarmer Active Member

I have not posted in a while I enjoy this place because of the information I recieve I have a nubian who is a second or third time birthing. She was bred to a Boer goat and I am wondering if the she will make it through the birth? ALso does anyone know if Diatamaceous earth help with goats at all? I can say it works really well with pigs. Adios and take care.

2. paperboy-7

paperboy-7 Well-Known Member

hi nXb there are alot of crosses out there must work de works for me later p

3. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Same rules apply as any other breeding :D As long as she is in good health, in good nutrition, UTD on shots, and no extenuating circumstances, she will do just fine. You run a risk always if you breed a large buck to a very small doe (tink monster boer and tiny pygmy) but the nubian/boer cross is a very standard thing. Good luck!

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

She will do fine as long as she is healthy. Dairy does have Boer babies all the time and they do great. Size of the baby depends more on what the individual buck tends to throw than it does on just the breed. I have Nubians, Alpines, Lamanchas and Boers and my smallest baby this year was from one of my Boer bucks.

Emily Dixon
    Ozark Jewels
    Boers, Nubians, Lamanchas and Alpines

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Yeah, Nubians have boer babies all the time, half nubian half boers are pretty popular.

6. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

This may be a tall tale, please someone, correct me if I am wrong, but I heard or read, can't remember which, that the reason the modern-day Boer goats have such lovely long curled up ears is because when they were first introduced into the USA via Texas (embrios were actually smuggled out of Africa in the bellies of other goats), they were proliferated by breeding them with Nubians in Texas. This all began back in the late 80's i believe. Boers were very rare back then, I remember seeing some of the first ones. They were crossed with Nubians in Texas and then the whole upgrading thing began to American Boers. Hence the difference between Fullblood American boers and African Boers. Now, many people use Nubian does to start a Boer herd if they already have Nubians. Percentage Boers are so prevalent and cheap now though, there is really no reason to do so. But in answer to your question, there should be no problem. I have several crosses myself and have a Nubian doe bred to a Boer now...she has had Boer babies before. I also have a Lamancha I am going to cross to a Boer (the Lamancha is actually 1/4 Boer but you can't tell it. I will also be breeding a LaMancha doeling that is 1/8 Boer to a Boer also). I guess i have rattled on long enough....Diane