Can new baby & ewe be integrated with others?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Hawkfamily, May 16, 2006.

1. Hawkfamily

Hawkfamily Well-Known Member

We had our very first successful birthing yesterday afternoon in the beautiful sunshine! We had separated the ewe prior to the birthing, so the baby and her are currently on their own in a pasture. We have one other ewe, and two female goats that usually all reside together. Can we put the baby and mama in with the three other girls?
    The baby is a boy. We own the ram and he lives on his own in a pasture. Can the young boy live with dad at some point? He should be separated from the girls at some point? We will likely be keeping him until 5 months or so, and then butchering - so would prefer to not castrate.
    Thanks!
    jodi

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Congratulations :)

I keep 25 ewes, all pastured, and they are never separated at lambing. The ewe will take herself off to a quiet corner of the paddock, give birth and within a day or so, be back with the main flock. So yes, you can put them back with the other ewe. I don't keep goats so am unsure as to what their behaviour would be with a lamb - probably just inquisitive.

If your going to put this chap in the freezer at about 5 months you could probably leave him running with his mother until that time but if you did want to put him in with the ram, there probably wouldn't be too much trouble beyond the establishing of dominance. I prefer to castrate all ram lambs by about 6 weeks of age to prevent any "accidents" if things don't go according to plan and I would suggest you do the same.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. GOATDADDY

GOATDADDY Well-Known Member

I run sheep, goats, a little bull and a horse together with never a problem that they havn't sorted out by themselves without blood shed. Goats always seem to dominate sheep for the most part.

4. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Yes, baby and mama can go in with the regular flock. Just keep an eye on them to make sure the goaties don't get too :ram:buncious.

We don't wether any of our ram lambs. I'd make sure your ram lamb is separated from any ewes by the time he is 4 months old. He can go in with the adult ram; again supervise them initially to be sure the adult does not hurt him. Normally once the adult asserts his dominance, they will live in peace.

I know of a certain 4.5 month old Cheviot ram lamb who managed to impregnate 13 out of 35 Cheviot ewes.... :rolleyes:

Lisa at Somerhill

5. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    Keep baby and momma together with no other contacts for three days to strenghten the bond between them and let the baby lambs put on wieght and get strong enough to take many butts from the other ewes. However if you have very agressive ewes they may try to steal your momma's babies when they come time to lamb. It depends on your flock but I like to keep the momma's who have lambed togehter and separate from those who havn't until everyone's had thier babies. This is both for managment and feeding differences. I find it easier to keep them separate.

6. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We kept our ewes with their lambs separate from the other ewes and goats for 3 days to bond. Then they can go back with the others. Make sure you wean the lambs after 2 months. The rams and bucks can live together in peace if no females are with them (at least ours did).

7. Philip

Philip Philip

No, we do the same as Ronney. We leave them all in the same paddock during lambing, and have never had any troubles with mis-matching of ewes taking lambs over. As long as theres enough room for the ewes to find a quiet corner it seems fine.
    We also band all ram-lambs when we dock them unless they are being marketed as breeder rams. Makes it easier if you don't happen to sell or slaughter them as lambs, and means you can keep them as hoggets without worrying about them still running with the ewes for any reason. Time seems to rank with money as constantly being in short supply, so anything that just means a little less time-pressure is always useful