Can mushroom poison travel through your finger tips?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Real Hawkeye, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Real Hawkeye

Real Hawkeye Well-Known Member

Noticed a pink mushroom growing amongst my oregano. Picked it up but didn't want to just toss it, as didn't want my dog getting curious about it and picking it up with his mouth, so I held on to it till I got back in the house to toss it in the trash. While holding it, my finger tips started to tingle where they contacted the mushroom. I looked at the under side, and it didn't have radial vents, but hundreds of little holes instead. When my fingers started tingling, I rushed into the house to throw it away and wash my hands with soap and water. Immediately started feeling nauseous and lightheaded. Was this poison, and did it enter my system through my finger tips? Thanks.

2. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

Wierd! I suppose anything is possible. We should look it up. Going to google now........

3. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

For sure,psylocybin(sp?) from picking "magic"mushrooms can,but it takes a day of heavy picking,to the point that your ffingers are purple to get any effect.

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

GASP! Oh no! You've been colonized by a parasitical alien life form that will soon take over your body and evict your soul!

Actually, I have no idea. :shrug:

5. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

what is your location? i will try to look it up. is the info given on the mushroom all that you can remember? it was spong-like on the underside, and pink. did it have any other features such as a ring of flesh on the stem? are there others growing anywhere nearby? what do the small ones look like as they emerge from the ground?

6. Real Hawkeye

You had me worried there for a minute. :)

7. Real Hawkeye

It looked like a little pink new potato, and that's what color it was on top. Weren't anymore. Here's a couple of images. The bottom is sponge like and sulfur yellow, but the color doesn't come through well in my photo.
    [​IMG]

And

[​IMG]

8. BrahmaMama

Well, I googled like crazy, found lots of stuff on poisonous shrooms of course, but nothing about poison absorbtion (sp) through the skin. :shrug:

9. Real Hawkeye

Thanks for doing the research. Does the picture in the previous post tell you anything?

10. Real Hawkeye

I tried punching the words Transdermal, Mushroom and Toxin, thinking I'd find something on Google, but didn't either. Maybe it doesn't happen and it was just my imagination. Sure felt tingling and nausea though.

11. BrahmaMama

Well, you could be allergic...?

12. MELOC

for now, all i know is it is a boletus. there are many. i have seen these and handled them. i would not worry too much. i think most dangerous alkaloids that are produced by fungus affect the liver and or kidneys. if you start having abdominal pain, that would be a sign you may need help. i doubt that even if you handled a poisonous fungi it would be enough to harm you. if you were to rub it into your skin and over a large area, it may be dangerous. i would not worry.

13. MELOC

there are so many web sites that research is proving difficult. there are 150+ varieties of boletus in north america.

in general, if it turns blue when bruised, it may be poisonous. that is not always the case i gather. if you still have it check it out. maybe you could cut it in half. if it turns bluish or greenish, it may be poisonous. unless you have ingested it, i still would not worry.

14. Island of Blueb

Island of Blueb Island of Blueb Supporter

Boletus. If the pores are red, or turn blue when bruised, it is poisonous, I was taught in mushroom identification class. And if the color is accurate in your pic, it has turned blue where there is a bruise in the lower right.

Yes, you can absorb the poison by touching them, or even by inhaling the fumes of certain mushrooms.

15. Island of Blueb

Island of Blueb Island of Blueb Supporter

Were there any stinging nettles in the area that you could have brushed your fingers against? Another thought, you could have an allergy to this particular mushroom. I doubt that you absorbed enough to be a health hazard, just pay attention to how you are feeling, if the numbness spreads to other limbs or your nose and lips, I would go to the ER. Good luck dear.

16. MELOC

17. Real Hawkeye

Thanks for the concern. I guess I should have said earlier that the nausea subsided shortly after disposing of the mushroom. At this point I am wondering if it was a psychosomatic symptom, since I suspected it was poisonous from the moment I saw it, and was reluctant to pick it up due to concerns about potential toxicity. The mind can play tricks on one.

18. Real Hawkeye

Island, I seem to recall learning or reading somewhere that if the mushroom has no colors other than shades of white to brown and the bottom has straight radial vents, then it is safe to eat. Is that correct?

19. Real Hawkeye

I believe there are molds that can be toxic on inhalation. Maybe that's what Island was referring to.

20. MELOC

absolutely wrong! some of the deadliest mushrooms are white and can be found in most every lawn. google the amanita family of fungi.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/Amanivi.htm