Can leaking water hydrant be fixed? How?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Widow Jams, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Widow Jams

Widow Jams Member

I have two outdoor water hydrants and both are leaking. They are leaking around the area where the hydrant sits on the post, and they are burbling water from around the horizontal screw on the hydrant which is in the cavity below the handle.

Is this something that can be fixed? If so, how?

Can the top of the hydrant be replaced without having to dig up the post section?

TIA

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

HEHE! Just did this here. You should be able to just tighten the screw to stop the leak there. If I am thinking of the same screw you are talking about. If you can manage to get the top of the hydrant off the pipe coming up, you might just need to apply some pipe dope on it to stop it from leaking there. Tighten the screw first, that may stop the leak in both places.
    That being said, when dh tried to tighten the screw on ours, it twisted off. So, we took it apart & I bought the pieces needed to fix it. You can just buy pieces, don't need to buy eveything new, just get what you need. Got that fixed & the darn thing was leaking underground somewhere then. So, we ended up having to dig it up & replace a fitting underground too. What started to be just a simple thing like turning a screw tighter, turned into a 3 day chore! :bash:

3. Lerxt

Lerxt Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be something for the city to do?

4. georgiarebel

georgiarebel Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. If you called already and they haven't done anything just take the cap off altogether. They'll come quickly then. :D

5. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

I think we're talking about yard hydrants, right....or did I miss something?

6. Widow Jams

Widow Jams Member

LOL! It would be convenient if I could call the city to come and repair my hydrants!

Yes, you were right! The are yard hydrants. Thanks for the help, I'll try "fixing" them tomorrow, but will have nightmares tonight about rivers and floods knowing how I manage to fix things!
    :)

7. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

8. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Why would some city want to come out 5 miles or more to my farm to fix my yard hydrant?????? But mine are all the old style, in a pit with a ball-valve & a rod to the surface. Since I've lived here all my life, & dad did before me, I'm kinda scared of the pitless type - hard to keep the cattle watered when those fail, & I've been around long enough for about 2 failers per hydrant..... The pits are easier to fix the problems. Problems always happen in 2 feet of snow and minus 10 degree temps.....

;)

--->Paul

9. Lerxt

Lerxt Well-Known Member

I see the word "hydrant" and I think "fire hydrant" not all-weather spigot. I get it now. :)