Can lard be canned?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Charleen, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I have lard from 7 pigs to render. :1pig: Our butcher has shredded it for me already, so it shouldn't take too long.

Once it's rendered I usually pour it into quart size canning jars, put the lid on and stick them in the fridge. Mostly used for soap, but I do fry with it also. And, of course, pie crusts! But I've never done this much at once before.

Can lard be canned? I remember reading on this forum about canning butter, so I was wondering how I can preserve lard from 7 pigs. I just don't have the freezer space.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

We used to put our lard in "lard cans". They are made of thin metal and hold maybe 6 gallon. We kept the cans in the basement because it was cooler down there. Lard rendered in March kept very well that way until late in the summer when it started to get rancid. (bad taste but not spoiled) That lard was used to make soap.
    I guess I'm saying that lard will keep all winter if kept slightly cool.

3. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

After rendering lard, (while it's hot) I pour it into hot sterilized quart jars and seal. These are supposed to keep for up to three years, but I have always used mine up before then.

To seal I invert the jars for at least 5 minutes, turn them upright and set them on a draft free counter until I hear them seal.

(I heat up the lids in hot water, not boiling, before placing them on the clean filled jars.)

edcopp, Aimee and cfuhrer like this.
  4. Charleen

So, what you're saying is that the heat from the lard will seal the lid? I had always let the lard cool in the jar and then screw on a lid.

I know some people can jelly (and other fruits) this way but I did not think that it was an approved, safe method any longer. It must be either water bathed or pressure canned depending on the food.

Maybe I should look into getting some lard cans like Uncle Will suggested.

Thanks for your help.

5. cowgirlone

Yes, the heat from the hot lard and the hot lid seal the jar. It keeps the air from getting to the lard in storage. Where a lard can is not sealed at all.

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Oh Lard , forgive them , for they Know not what they seal !fordy.. :dance: :help:

DamnearaFarm, Goat Servant and BigM like this.
  7. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Lehman's has metal lard cans, kind of pricey though. I get plastic buckets and lids from a relative that owns a resturant, they have had pickles, ketchup, mustard, etc. in them. I used to get smaller buckets and lids from a donut shop that icing came in. Since they have had only food in them I don't know why they wouldn't work for lard. A friend makes BBQ sauce in quantity and pours it into plastic buckets while it is still hot and has no problems. I don't know how hot it is, maybe not as hot as lard, but you could try it with a litttle and see if it would work.

8. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

:rock: you crack me up! :p

Wolf mom likes this.
  9. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

This is pretty much what I do. Have some lard I opened recently, is 2 years old, and in great shape. EVEN through a couple of Texas summers!

fishhead and TerriLynn like this.
  10. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Hot lard is probably MUCH hotter than boiling water, so I can easily see how it would sterilize the jars and lids without any trouble.

Same with canning Jellies and jams. The sugar in the jellies and jams creates a much hotter temperature than mere water boiling.

11. cowgirlone

Mamajohnson, 2 years is good! I know that Texas heat is pretty hot!! :)

I like to open a quart and keep it in my fridge until I've used it all up. The others store nicely on the shelf.

I'm not as picky with my soap lard....
    When I use lard to make soap, I like to open a couple of vitamin E caplets and squeeze them into the soap. It helps get rid of any odors.

Hip_Shot_Hanna, I still sterilize my jars, just pour the hot lard into the hot jars. I used to just store my lard in a tin, but it seems to last longer when it's sealed away from the air.

12. Charleen

Thank you all! I'm in the middle of rendering lard from 5 pigs right now. 2 more next week. :1pig:

I've got 3 quart jars done so far and they have all sealed by just pouring hot lard into hot jars and using a hot canning lid.

Now I have more freezer space since the lard is gone!

Rustaholic and ChristieAcres like this.
  13. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

How much head space are you leaving in the jars?

14. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Timely question and info as I am rendering my first batch at the moment.
    I'm also curious about the headspace and am wondering if you dry the hot jar out or just not worry about the bit of water that's there when you pull the jars out of the water bath used to heat them?

15. Charleen

I washed my large mouth quart jars in the dishwasher and removed them one at a time as I used them, so they were dry and still very hot. My dishwasher has a special feature that sanitizes. (This is very useful when someone in the family is sick).

I left approx 3/4" headspace. Inverted the jars for 5 minutes, (make sure the band is on tight!!) then set upright. I heard the lid popping within 15 minutes of uprighting each jar. All remain sealed as of 12 hours later.

Only problem I encountered was that in the first 3 jars, the lard is extremely white and the last 7 jars are more yellowish. The last jar is almost light brown. I was starting to burn the bottom of the pan and I'm sure this is where the discoloration came from.

16. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Can anyone advise a first timer on how to 'render lard'? Our first pig goes to the butcher the end of this month.

I'd also love step by step instructions on how to make soap if anyone has the time to explain.

Your advice would be very appreciated.

17. Charleen

18. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

Fat, I hear tell trapes any PESTICIDES and harmful Carcinogens. Some thing to consider. Use Vegetable OIL, instead. IS that why some people TRIM the FAT ?

19. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I imagine we're talking here about fat from home-raised pigs. So rather different from store bought lard. And there is a lot of evidence that saturated fats PROTECT the cardiovascular system. As for vegetable oil, it's proven that many are NOT good for you, especially they way they're processed. Search "con-ola" and you'll see what I mean.

TerriLynn and cfuhrer like this.
  20. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

:monkey:

If you work a desk job, it's very hard NOT to have too much lard in your can!!! :1pig: HEY, someone had to say it!!! :nana: :nana:

cfuhrer likes this.