Can I use the faucet at my well head?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by limhyl, Dec 30, 2004.

1. limhyl

limhyl Well-Known Member

Our well is about 200 feet from the house and has a faucet attatched. The well was drilled a year ago and has an electric pump with an excellent output. I would like to use the faucet to irrigate the orchard since the hose does not reach from the house so is there any reason why I shouldn't? Thanks, Theresa.

2. paden

paden Well-Known Member

There shouldn't be any problem as long as you have a good pressure tank in the system.

An anti-syphon device should be installed on the hydrant. You don't want the hose attatched to the well to suck water or anything else back down into your drinking water. You can get one from a plumbing supply store or some big hardware stores. Remove the anti-syphon thingy during freezing weather or the hydrant won't be able to empty itself and it may freeze.

3. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I sure hope not as we have been using ours for 16 years. :)

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

The setup should work just fine. As to having a pressure tank--I expect that you do, however one is not needed for this arrangement at all.

You do want to use "Y" devices and several hoses or otherwise allow enough flow so that the pump is not cycling on and off. This is hard on pumps and eats more electricity than a steadily running pump.

I use no tank and pump through a 2" line which runs full. Output of my well is about 35 gallons per minute.

My neighbor in town pumps directly into his sprinkler system without use of a pressure tank. When the sprinklers are not on we open the faucet to two hoses so as not to tax the pump with pressure buildup. I say "we" because I care for his yard and pool when they are on vacation.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Provided you have a well with a good output and a submersible pump you should be good to go. A jet pump with low output will have priming problems after running for an extended time. Your arrangment is what I refer to as a fresh water spigot.

6. limhyl

limhyl Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies. I love this forum! Theresa.