Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of moving and have several plants I would like to take with me if at all possible. If I move them now, will I kill them? I have bee balm, lots of lily's, phlox and a rose of sharon. Can I do it?
It's a short move by the way, only 10 miles away, if that matters...thanks!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Take them, you lose nothing if they all die. If you baby them they will probably be ok. When I moved I took tons of iris', stuck them in a dish pan with oak leaves, and they stayed in that almost 8 weeks before they were planted, granted it was fall.

And several times I have come back from my grandmother in laws with plants (ivy, grasses, rose of sharon, lilac, peonys...) and it's a 4 hour drive, I've done this all seasons but winter. The only thing that didn't make it was a peony :shrug:

·
Adventuress--Definition 2
4,174 Posts
Pot them up using good soil and set in the shade either at the new place or where you are. Water regularly. Give them at least 3 weeks to "rest" or plant in fall (preferable). I've forgotten to plant potted transplants for several seasons and lost very few but I don't recommend following my lazy ways.

·
Tub-thumper
1,588 Posts
I don't know the details of your move but, generally speaking, if you are selling your property you are not supposed to dig up plants in the yard.

You might be fine to do it or you might be contacted by some angry buyers. Dig cautiously!

/VM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts