Can I shadow someone in WI?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by PJ, Feb 27, 2005.

1. PJ

PJ Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about goats for 2 years now ;) , I would like to have a few of my own. Right now I have chickens ( lots) , 1 steer and 1 sheep.
    I also have a market garden, so time is tight during the growing season.
    I would like to shadow someone for a few days ( that have more than a few goats) to see what is all involved with day to day care, kidding ect. ( I will have to bring my 4yr old with me).
    I will be willing to actually help you ( for free) during my schooling.
    I'm near Marshfield, Wi Rapids area and will be willing to travel 40 miles or so.

Please PM me Thanks
    Nancy

2. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi,
    I'm located by Loyal and we raise the meat variety. You don't clarify weather you want to learn to milk, or just goat care in general. We have a small herd due to limited acreage, but we have 3 does due in the next 6 weeks. I also know there is a fairly large dairy goat farm by Stratford, maybe they could help you? They have a website, but I don't know what it is. Do a search for Stratford WI goat nubian (think that's what they have).

3. PJ

PJ Well-Known Member

Well it would be goat care in general.
    Maybe down the road sometime I would think myself educated enough to milk one, and care for 1 or 2 or 3 . I just would like to see care, fencing, attitudes,
    birthing, houseing ect. and the time it takes to care for them. I would just like to get a feel for them. Loyal is not to far from me.
    If you wouldn't mind me tagging along during chores, PM me . I want to learn before I leap as they say.

Thanks
    Nancy