Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
don't know where to post this, so if you have to move it...apologies!

the elderly man down the road lets his dog run loose. I'm a dog lover, so I understand how thrilling this is for a dog tied to a doghouse on a 6' chain. but...with all the woods, the dog comes to my place. now..I KNOW already that I probably should have better control over my dogs that are both extremely territorial. but...still...my dogs know that dog is out there, and they get so worked up that they turn on each other and fight. (ever break up a dog fight? NOT pretty) I've had one vet bill for a booboo....do NOT want another. so...after dealing with it for months...I march down the road. nobody in sight, so I put a note in his mailbox. it said..'PLEASE stop letting your dog run loose.' I explain the problem. ok...maybe it sounded snotty, but I was at my wit's end. he tells my hubby that he can prosecute me for putting it in his mailbox. something about tampering with US mail. I told him that I know all too well that sometimes our dogs get loose, but when mine do...I'm right behind them. if he wants his dog to have more freedom...fence is the answer. (I did say I sounded snotty) anyway..I like this man, so I was surprised by his tone. is this true? because I put a note in his mailbox...can I get in trouble????

you have a place...don't see the neighbors....yet sometimes there is still problems. ugh.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I do know from expirence that placing a newspaper in a U.S. Mail Box is considered illegal & will be reported by 10 out of 10 Seniors that own the house attached to said mail box.

Next time consider sending a certified letter stating that his dogs will be video taped which will then be forwarded to the proper authorities.
Or just do a Brooklyn thang & mak um disappear.

~~ pelenaka ~~
http://thirtyfivebyninety.blogspot.com/

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Technically, yes but I can guarantee you your local postmaster will toss it in file 13. The amount of paperwork they have to do is mindboggling and this is the last thing they care about. Now, if you had put a rattlesnake or a bomb in there, you would be toast.
This guy is attempting to shift the focus away from his allowing the dogs loose. Trying to put you on the defensive instead of himself. Tell him to go right ahead and if he does, call animal control or whoever. Better yet, SSS.

Tana Mc

·
Registered
390 Posts
I seriously doubt a federal prosecutor is going to pursue a case that involves a neighbor leaving a note in another neighbor's mailbox.

Why don't you just let your dogs run the other dog off?

·
Super Moderator
16,906 Posts
It is technically illegal, but everybody does it. The US post office does NOT! want to deal with 12 year olds putting invitations in the box or any other ordinary use.

So, yes, it is illegal but nobody will be interested in bugging you about it. They would REALLY rather not!

·
Disgruntled citizen
4,458 Posts
SSS.

Yes, it is a federal offense to place things in a postal mailbox. Once, I was officially notified of that law when the 4-H group that I led placed flyers in local mailboxes. Either tape the next note to his door, or SSS. (I'd lean toward the second alternative).

Kaza

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I seriously doubt a federal prosecutor is going to pursue a case that involves a neighbor leaving a note in another neighbor's mailbox.

Why don't you just let your dogs run the other dog off?
a thought..but I don't like bloodshed. and I'd never risk my dogs. :) no doubt mine would be horrible........and then I'd have him hitting me with killing his dog.

in my snotty state of mind, I may have left it as 'tell it to Judge Judy'. ok...so now we're not best friends. oh well....lol

PA has leash laws, so I figured if he filed a claim..that might help my defense. :) yet..it creeped me out thinking that maybe he is right. next time I'll wait til he's home. BUT...he's probably gonna wish I put a note in his mailbox...........

·
Registered
772 Posts
I do know from expirence that placing a newspaper in a U.S. Mail Box is considered illegal & will be reported by 10 out of 10 Seniors that own the house attached to said mail box.

Next time consider sending a certified letter stating that his dogs will be video taped which will then be forwarded to the proper authorities.
Or just do a Brooklyn thang & mak um disappear.

~~ pelenaka ~~
http://thirtyfivebyninety.blogspot.com/
add with return signature requested , thatb way you know they GOT the letter & in court you have there signature. I always keep a copy of the letter also because they will usully mysteriously loose it.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
First of all you made the mistake of letting him know his dogs are bothering you. I guess if it was me in this situation, I would kill his dogs or maybe just one dog, take it down the road a couple miles some evening, lay it out in the road and run over it. You're trying to make it look like it was hit by a vehicle. It never pays to play nice when a neighbor lets his animals run loose. And I don't care how nice the neighbor is. Good fences make for the best neighbors, and a rifle bullet will settle for the others.

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Just to be snotty and have a little fun, I'd call the postmaster and turn myself in.

I can hear the laughing already.

Then I'd send the neighbor a letter (all legal like) informing him of that and ask what he intends to do about his dog.

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First of all you made the mistake of letting him know his dogs are bothering you. I guess if it was me in this situation, I would kill his dogs or maybe just one dog, take it down the road a couple miles some evening, lay it out in the road and run over it. You're trying to make it look like it was hit by a vehicle. It never pays to play nice when a neighbor lets his animals run loose. And I don't care how nice the neighbor is. Good fences make for the best neighbors, and a rifle bullet will settle for the others.
oh honey..you're scaring me. LOL

now I know...next time (if there is one)...I will march down the road, only this time I'll be the snotty wench IN PERSON that he will then wish just left a note in his mailbox. I have a bad temper. not with my family..not even usually. but let somebody ---- me off...and they will WISH they didn't see me in person. :rock:

and yes........take it to Judge Judy Goober......

·
Registered
213 Posts
It's one thing killing a dog for chasing livestock, but this goes over the line. WAY over the line.

·
Registered
390 Posts
mamita,

Much respect for trying to deal with this in a reasonable fashion. It's good to hear that you are not willing to just shoot the dog without first trying a more reasonable and humane approach.

I don't know your dogs but it my experience it's a rare dog that will attack another dog to the death IF the other dog trys to submit. Since you have two I don't see the other dog putting up much of a fight and he if knows future visits might mean having to deal with your two he'll think twice.

Good luck.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It's one thing killing a dog for chasing livestock, but this goes over the line. WAY over the line.
Why? If I read this correctly, her dog(s) were injured resulting in a financial burden. That's the same reason dogs are shot for harassing livestock, no?

This would be a case of "shoot, shovel and shut up" in my neck of the woods. My neighbors and my own dogs are very well behaved because of it.

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mamita,

Much respect for trying to deal with this in a reasonable fashion. It's good to hear that you are not willing to just shoot the dog without first trying a more reasonable and humane approach.

I don't know your dogs but it my experience it's a rare dog that will attack another dog to the death IF the other dog trys to submit. Since you have two I don't see the other dog putting up much of a fight and he if knows future visits might mean having to deal with your two he'll think twice.

Good luck.
my two are not socialized...and extremely territorial. I wouldn't ever 'try' having them face off to run a dog off. your experience is worthy....but you don't know my dogs. while I doubt the other dog would fare well, I still would never put my dogs in that situation. I don't want them having any scrapes in life. they may be a bit 'different', but they are my loves. and you never know when another animal might put up a GREAT fight. no...not going there.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I agree to turning yourself in.

I would call your local post office and explain to them what is going on: your neighbor is refusing to leash their animal because they are holding this over you. I would think that the local post office would send you a letter citing it and that they have decided that this time to just warn you about it, but don't do it again. You now have proof of it. This neighbor can no longer blackmail you with it.

Next, there was once an enormous thread in these very forums about neighbors not controlling their animals. Did it get to a thousand posts? A lot of passion and tears and in the end, it seemed that while nearly everybody started the conversation with different solutions, it seemed almost unanimous: SSS.

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
at the most they will fine you. Years ago we had a paper route...taken over from an employee of the post office. We tape recorded (with his knowledge) him telling us the whole route. On this tape he said to put the newspapers in the mailboxes. We did...not realizing we could get in trouble. about 2 years later someone turned us in. We got fined for it and that was the end of it. So I doubt they'll actually prosecute you over one note.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts