Can I put 1 or 2 cows in the same

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by TamInAz, Nov 20, 2005.

1. TamInAz

TamInAz Well-Known Member

pasture as my 2 very gentle horses? Prob. a dumb question but was wondering how it would affect the pasture if at all.

TIA
    Tam

2. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

They should be fine. Just make sure the horses don't run the cows.

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

4. TamInAz

10 acres fenced in w/large barn and another 10 that can eventually be used once fenced.

5. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

Yes, you and put them together. You will have to decide if you have the pasture to support them all

6. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

In most parts of Arizona, that's not enough pasture for that many animals. (assuming you are in a dry or semi-dry area)

Is it native or improved grass? Can you water the pasture? Can you afford feed for everybody year round?

7. Sinenian

Sinenian Well-Known Member

Just watch the horses, they often bully cows around at first.

8. TamInAz

10 acres not enough for 4 animals? The part of Az. where we bought this prop. is up towards Flagstaff and has the 4 season. Work had been done by the sellers w/the grass because they had originally bought it for the horses (we got the horses as a package deal with the prop. LOL). Yes, we can afford to feed everyone year around

What I was really worried about, since I want them to be able to enjoy grazing, is that something is sticking in my mind from a long time ago about the cow droppings ruining available grass for the horses.

9. TamInAz

If monitored, will the horses adjust and get "nicer"? We're wanting to get a younger cow already bred (will be holding off on a second cow until spring or summer).

10. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

My horse runs with anywhere from 10-30 dairy heifers. On occasion he will chase them around. He is definately boss and doesn't care for straggles when bringing up the herd. A few have marks from his bites but overall they get along fine. Now that he is older I try to seperate him to he doesn't overload on corn at feeding time. He has been eating a cracked corn mix with bovetec for several years without many problems. Occasion he colics when the heifers don't clean up the feed fast enough. No problems with sharing grazing ground, too small to really matter anyway. Currently they are gleaning the corn and bean fields

11. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

My horses are in the same pasture as the cattle. Only time I ever had a problem was when a yearling colt would get it in his head that he was a cattle horse. After a couple days the cattle get tired of running and the colt can't chase what won't run! My sheep and goats are also in the same pasture with no problem.

Kathie

12. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Hi Tam,

This is in response to the comment about pasture in AZ. I'm not sure where near here (Flagstaff) that the property is, but the comment is a valid one. Even though we have 4 seasons, there isn't pasture to speak of. There are a few homesteads and ranches that have more grass than what is usual for around here (Fox Ranch exit for example), but most of them won't have 10 acres. You know what you bought, so if it is like that particular ranch or land near the white mountains, you'll truly have grass. Otherwise grass is all in the definition.

One other note, hay prices are quite diffferent than what is usually posted here. I pay $5 for a two wire bale of alfalfa. More toward $11 is usual for 3 wire.

I know of a couple of great horse vets around here and some great horse people. Once you get settled in and ever bop into town, feel free to get in touch with me and stop by. Maybe you'll even want to take a gander at Corabelle's latest heifer :)

13. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

You need to remember that cows make big cow patties and nobody will eat within a certain radius of them....so what might look like a lot of green grass out there has alot of areas where neither the cows or horses will eat. Needs to be cleaned up or broken up or large areas of the fields will be untouched. Also,need to mow regularly to keep down weeds and newer grass will be more palatable to stock than old. We've run cattle,horses and sheep in the same areas and they all eat at a different level. They will establish their own order and haven't really had problems with the horses running anyone around. Are fed their grain in different areas though as this can cause problems. DEE