Can I milk once a day?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Matt NY, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Matt NY

Matt NY Well-Known Member

At peak this goat gave a little over a half gallon of milk a day, now it is about half of that. It just recently dropped way off. I have been miking her for about 4 months.

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

That's what I do. When they drop off to a quart or a bit more, I start milking once a day until I get ready to dry them off. I have one now that I am milking just in the mornings, and another that I am milking twice a day.
    mary

3. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

If she's only been milking four months and has dropped off, and she's a standard dairy breed or Nigerian from milking lines with long lactations, not Pygmy or Boer or Nigerian from lines that do not stress long lactations, then she's quitting too soon, and you should make an effort to find out why. She could be coming up with some health problems, and the dropping milk production is an early sign. Also, especially if this is her first lactation, you really need to keep her milking well for as long as possible. This first year is the time her body comes to understand what is expected. If you allow a four-month lactation, then you'll have real trouble getting more than that in future years. Has her grain intake changed? Does she get alfalfa hay? With a little more information on feed and care routines, we might be able to help with the drying off.

4. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

I just went to one milking a day (mornings) and its really nice to have my evenings free not having to wait until 6P to go somewhere. :) I have been milking twice daily since late January and will be drying up early December.