Can I Make Them Sick?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Mar 4, 2005.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I done came down with the Flu.My Dogs are hanging out with me,can I make them sick?

big rockpile

2. MeowMix

MeowMix Active Member

well, I have always been told that ya usually can't get sick from your dog, but they can get sicknesses from us. So, I am always careful around mine whenever I am sick. Specially colds and Flu and such. Very contagious. :(
    Hope ya feel better soon. :)

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

second meow's coment. though they may be just having sympathy pain's! nothing like a spring flu to drag ya down!hope you feel better(and the critters)soon

4. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Dogs and cats aren't supposed to be affected by the Influenza virus, but ferrets are very susceptible. Do you have "real flu" (coughing, muscle aches, fever, etc. that lasts for several days) or do you have what most people call "the flu" (vomiting, diarrhea, ect. for 1-2 days)? Hope you feel better soon.

Sarah

5. big rockpile

I have fever,headach,feel about like I'm about to drop out.

big rockpile

6. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

It was explained to me that in cases of recurrent illness where dogs where part of the family, it had been found that the dogs where carriers of the germs and giveing the illness back to the children or adults, so while they may not become ill that you can tell, it could be possible for them to save the germs for you and give them back so you get sick again.

7. WillowWisp

WillowWisp Well-Known Member

Well Rockpile, it really depends on the nature of the illness. Just keep your hands washed and if ya gotta cough , do it away from them I guess. Yeah animals and people can pass illnesses back and forth. Since you have a fever and headache and feel weak sounds like a viral thing for sure...but do you have sinus pain, cough, anything else at all...or just the headache and the fever? I get alot of viral and bacterial infections and my glands get sore. Does your neck hurt? Best thing to do is get plenty of rest and lots of fluids and eat healthy. If it feels like a cold or something too coming on they have some new OTC remedies that are supposed to help shorten the length of the illness. I hope you feel better soon. My dog hasn't ever cought anything from me and I have a low immune system. So don't be too too worried.

GOd bless
    Willowwisp

8. big rockpile

Willow Wisp yea sinuses are giving me fits,but their draining,feel like I need to put a funnel on my nose.I have to be real careful with what I get over the counter.

I was baking Bread today,real pain trying to be clean as I could.I'm worried about my wife too,for one reason she is taking care of a bunch of elderly people.

Was suppose to go to a Birthday Party tomorrow,but there is no way.

big rockpile

9. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

When I asked my vet exactly the same question about be contagious to my sheep and dogs I got a resounding NO! I wasn't a threat to them. Sounds like most human flu's come from birds and pigs not canines and Ovines at least.

10. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

YO! big rockpile! Having a daughter work in the local vet for over ten years, let me say the answer is no.

Now get off the dang computer and get in bed where you belong!

Hope you get well soon....

Ozarkguy