Can I make pickles with no equipment???

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ScorpionFlower, Aug 21, 2006.

1. ScorpionFlower

ScorpionFlower Insanity prevails

Ok, I have my first pickle cucumbers off the vine today. I want to make pickles as I never seem to be able to keep enough in the house for my girls. However, I don't have any canning equipment, not even jars. Hubby says I'm not allowed to go shopping. So, is there any way I can make pickles without canning them??? I have vinegar, both white and cider. I do not have pickling salt or any of those pickling packets from the store. Any ideas??? Or should I just use these some other way?? LOL I really had my hopes up on making pickles... darn hubby.

2. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

Post this to cooking and you'll get alot more replies. Do a web search on refrigerator pickles. I think those can be done using a glass bowl but I've never tried it.

3. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

If you have tupperwear containers they will work fine in the refrigerator.

4. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

My grnadmother used to peel, and slice cukes, then put them in a sulotion of half water, and half clear vinigar, and add a chopped up onion, and a little dill. She would refrigerate them,and serve them cold. Its not quite canning dill pickles, but they are tastey.

5. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

Another good way to use up cukes is to slice them and make a sauce of Miracle Whip, dash of vinegar, pinch of sugar, salt and pepper. You can add sliced onions and dill also. Just put them in the fridge for a day and enjoy!

Leay

6. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

My friend Lynn make refrigerator pickles all the time. You can use whatever containers you have available (in the future, you might want to save mayo and pickle and other jars).

You can use regular table salt, it just makes the solution cloudy is all. But in case your DH will relent and let you buy a little canning salt, it costs about $1.89 around here for a 4 pound box.

Hope the following recipe is helpful. I found it on cooks.com, and it's the same as my friend's recipe.

Pony!

REFRIGERATOR PICKLES

4 c. sugar
    4 c. cider vinegar
    1/2 c. pickling salt
    1 1/2 tsp. turmeric
    1 tsp. celery seed
    1 tsp. mustard seed
    3 med. onions, sliced thin
    Med. size cucumbers

Mix all together except onion and cucumbers. Do not heat. Stir until completely dissolved. Sterilize jars. Slice one onion in the bottom of each jar. Slice cucumbers to fill the jars. Pour syrup over this. Fill to top of the jar. Screw on the lids and refrigerate for at least five days before using. Store in refrigerator.

Makes 3 large 18 ounce jars. Will keep indefinitely.