Can I keep Rabbits in the same building as Chickens?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by savinggrace, Oct 14, 2006.

1. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

Hi,

I was wondering if it were possible to keep rabbits in the same building as chickens. I understand if the chickens roost on the rabbits enclosure they may catch coccidiosis, however, if the chickens are seperate from the rabbits completely, is that ok?

A nearby breeder is looking to focus on just one breed, and has really wonderful stock of the breed they are looking to get out of.

And exactly how cold can rabbits tolerate (comfortably)

Thanks!

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You are likely to hear a wide variety of opinions on this.

My understanding is that coccidiosis is species specific... that is, rabbits can't catch it from chickens, nor can chickens catch it from rabbits. That said, I would not house rabbits where chicken droppings could fall on them. If the rabbit cages were hung from the ceiling, I think they could co-habit quite nicely. Chickens will peck at and eat dung from any number of animals, given the opportunity. Rabbits are perhaps less resilient.

Housing them under one roof, but separated, should cause no problems.

3. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

They can't catch coccidiosis, but they can catch salmonelosis from chickens. If you handle the chickens, this could present a problem, even when keeping them separate. Take care of the rabbit chores, first, before the chickens.

Rabbits can comfortably tolerate cold weather so long as they have access to liquid, drinkable water. Rabbits are such that if they can't drink, then, then won't eat... and if they don't eat, they can't produce the energy needed to keep warm. In freezing temperatures, providing a nest box stuffed with straw does a great job for helping rabbits tolerate extreme cold. The straw also generates heat.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/

4. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

i have seen colony set ups where the rabbits made their burrows in a chicken pen, even useing the coop, as long as they put their nests underground they were fine , but if they used a nest box that the chickens could get into the Kits were eaten.

other than that they were fine

5. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

6. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

I have a few silkies I plan to eventually let live in the rabbit house as bug control, because they can't really fly up onto the cages and defecate on the rabbits. I wouldn't let the larger flying breeds do it though. I'd keep everything really clean too, as a preventative.