Can I have one big happy barnyard family???

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by naturegurl, May 10, 2006.

1. naturegurl

naturegurl Member

We are in the process of building a big pasture in our backfield. We want to keep our goats and pigs out there. We are planning to build to seprate pens for the goats and the pigs. We have two goats, a pygmy, and a pigmy crossed with an alpine. We have two 400lb pigs. We are planing to get three more piglets and possibly another pygmy or fainting goat. At the barn that we bought the goats from the goats and the sheep were all in one pen. Can goats and pig mix together as well?

2. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

I don't see why not, but I haven't mixed the two personally. Like with all animals, you will want to keep an eye out for aggressive behaviour. I would think that they would be fine together and I would worry about the goats bugging the pigs more than the other way around.

3. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

4. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

I have my 3 pygmy goats, one Potbelly Pig (when he decided to stay in the yard!)
    and 40'ish chickens all in the same yard.

the chickens have their hen house,
    the goats and Eeyore (pig) sleep together cant stop em ! lol

no problems..
    EXCEPT the goats should NOT eat much of the chicken feed!!

so I now scatter the chicken feed out on the ground instead of using a feeder. works fine so far.

Good Luck

5. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Our pig ate the chickens...alive, and when he tried to do the same with the baby gat, he went to the slaughterhouse.

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I would never have trusted my pigs with my goats. They had a track record of killing and eating chickens, ducks, and turkeys that went into their pens :( That was more than enough so I never tried them around the goats and left the goats in the bigger fenced pasture while the pigs stayed in pens. Here, I've had a sow (350 lb'er) for three months and she got out twice both times with week old kids on the ground. The sow didn't bother them, but I wouldn't want to make this a way of life for us and she really didn't have the opportunity to be tempted. Pigs are opportunistic eaters. They'll take what they can get at times. That said, I met a member in Florida who had an older castrated hog and she kept him with her goats. Soooo.... I'd say some can be trusted and others can't. The younger ones might also pose more problems than older pigs settled in their ways.

7. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Be very careful...pigs have been known to eat children too. And fingers.

8. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

I had two potbelly sows each under 50 pounds kill half a dozen lambs. My sheep were much bigger than your goats, and the pigs were much smaller than your pigs. Those 2 sows are in the freezer and there are pig exclider gates now that the sheep can jump but the potbellies cant

9. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

You can easily keep the pigs & goats together provided you are feeding both types of animals a VERY well balanced diet so there needs are beeing met & they have plenty of room to roam & stay away from each other if they choose.
    Cases of hogs eating other animals often occur when the hogs feed needs are not beeing met properly.
    We keep our hogs in there own area , but they are often invaded by the chickens, & turkeys, none of our hogs have ever eaten any other animals wandering around there space. but then again our hogs never go hungry & have a very well balanced diet.
    Rick

10. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

yes to a point, Overcrowding and starvation certainly can and will trigger it, but it is not a requirement for it to happen. Pigs are omnivours and if they get a taste for something, like find an afterbirth, they won't stop when they get to the young one. Wild pigs do hunt, they just usually aren't that great at it, and can normally find an easier meal. I had done fine for years with a common pasture. The problems I had were due to flooding, I couldn't separate them for a while, and after they were separated again, those 2 particular sows would actually stalk ewes ready to give birth. The dog could only protect one ewe at a time if they scattered, like my breed does. Once those 2 sows were in the freezer I had no further lamb losses. You can get by, but it is like the shuttle O-ring. When the conditions are right there will be a problem.