Can I grow tomotoes inside during the winter?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by sullen, Sep 11, 2005.

1. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

There was an article in Mother Earth News or Countryside about growing tomatoes indoors all winter a few months ago. It seemed like they took up a lot of space.

2. VictoriaAnn

VictoriaAnn Victoria Ann

I googled "winter tomatoes" and came up with this:
    http://www.rain.org/~sals/toma1.html

Looks interesting. I read that same article, funny, I can't remember if it was Countryside or MEN, either! But I do remember the article recommending growing cherry tomatoes rather than large slicers.

I guess, from the above linked article, that you could grow tomatoes perpetually from just one original plant? Pretty cool, as you wouldn't have to buy anymore seed or plants for that particular variety. Assuming, of course, that you have enough light for as many plants as you want to keep going during the winter. I think an attached greenhouse would be a good thing for this.

3. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I start new tomato plants from my outdoor ones in the fall to take in during the winter. I didn't get tomatoes but would have gotten large plants to put out in the spring that would have produced faster. I neglected them for a couple weeks and lost them in the early spring.

This year I dug up my pepper plants and will do those and tomatoes indoors. Beats starting with those tiny plants every spring.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I grew tomatoes inside one year. I had to tickle the blooms with a feather to get the fruit to set. They needed a little extra light so I put a flourescent bulb over them. The bulb lighted the room, so I really wasn't out any extra electric to do it.

5. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

I have 4 tomato plants, 12 peppers (different types) and 5 eggplants that I want to try and save. I have a porch/room that has lots of light. It is worth a try anyway. These plants are already in containers so they won't go into shock from transplanting. I just hope I can keep them alive and have an early start on the heat next year. The heat and humidity here "cooked" just about all the fruit on the vine. It stunted just about everything. I will be shade gardening next year.

6. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

We've used our north-facing dining area window
    ledge to keep tomato plants over the winter.
    There wasn't as much warmth or lights as they'd
    have liked, but we harvested a few tomatoes and
    they are doing better than those we grew from
    scratch after replanting outdoors.

This year, we're either moving plants indoors
    to the basement or insulated well-house, where
    we'll give them a plant light on a timer and see
    how it goes.

7. Nevada Smith

Nevada Smith New Member

We have a very short growing season at this elevation – so I set my tomato plants in our south facing solar windows. I just forgot to pollinate the flowers. It was a DUH! Moment after living with these enormous spreading, acrid smelling plants and getting no fruit. I figure my homegrown tomato cost more per pound than lobster. So make like a bee! :bash: