Can Hair sheep breed with wooly sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Ramon, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Ramon

Ramon Active Member

I have a Katahdin Ram and was thinking of doing some cross breeding with the wool type sheep, may a Suffolk. First of all, are all sheep inter-breedable and secondly, any other thoughts on this or does anyone have experience with this?
    Thanks
    Ramon in NC

2. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Yes, it can be done. It takes about 3 generations of breeding back to hair sheep to get sheep that shed. I assume that is why you want to do this? If you are just wanting to increase the size of Katahdins, look into Dorper hair sheep as they are larger and grow much faster.

3. Ramon

Ramon Active Member

Sue,
    So if I breed a Katadin to a Suffolk, I will probably get a wooly sheep looking more like the Suffolk? My wife is curious about what it would look like.
    Thanks
    Ramon

4. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

I personally have not bred anything but hair to hair but I have a friend that is turning her all wool flock into hair sheep. She has Polypay and Dorset ewes mostly and over the years they just have less and less wool with each new generation. Bad thing is that the wool will pop up from time to time down the line since it is carried in the genes.

5. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I have bred wooled sheep to Romanov and every lamb has the possibility of being different. On some lambs 1 will resemble the Romanov and the twin will resemble a wooly. A lot of my lambs have Romanov traits on the back half, and wooled on the front. Here is a photo of some lambs from a few years ago. There is a lamb like that to the left of the photo.

[​IMG]

I imagine if you cross the Kathadin with a Suffolk you'll get a fair amount of color on the lambs, that has been my experience, at any rate.

6. Lana

Lana Active Member

I breed my Cheviot ewes to my Dorper this year and the lambs are BIG and FAT and i love the combo.Lana ohhh yea and many sets one is black and one is white :D

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Sue is right, so unless you like to shear, I'd go with a larger hair breed

8. kit

kit Well-Known Member

http://sheepandgoat.com/news/august2004.html#WMD

I can't remeber how to do a link on here so try going to this website. It has some pictures of Texel/Kat, Suffolk/Kat and Dorp/Kat sheep. There is other information there also, so scroll down to the pictures. If I were to crossbreed, my preference is the Texel from the pictures. Also, I guess I have seen a lot of Dorpers and they just don't cut in my books. Can't knock their rate of gain to a certain weight but then that's it. And, I think from the pictures that the suffolk crosses on the slim side. But, that's just my opinions - have a look as you what you think......

Actually we have some really great Kat lambs born already - 150 lambs in 2 1/2 weeks...... and still going......

9. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

If we breed our Dorper/Katahdian ram to a Suffolk ewe, will the meat taste a little stronger? Our experience has been that the hair sheep don't have the flavor the Suffolk has.