Can goats get sarcoids?? warts??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jill.costello, Sep 20, 2005.

1. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

My doe, Coffee, has a pencil-eraser-sized bump on her side...(I thought it was a tick until I parted the hair and really examined it). It is scaly and flakey and bleeds a tiny bit when you flake off the dead skin; it reminds me of a "sarcoid" that the horses can get, like a wart. Is this common? I'm worried that the tiny bit of ooze could be contagious: what do you think?

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Sorry to hear about your little goats problem, I have never heard of goats getting warts. Of course I do not know very much about goats, but in all that I have read I have never heard of goats getting warts. Hope the problem goes away, or that someone comes by who is a better help. Regardless I want the problem to go away, sorry. Bye.

3. Caren

Caren Well-Known Member Supporter

I will be watching this thread for an answer! I have found the same thing on my milk goat! I came in to ask about it and seen you had already beat me to it.

Caren

4. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

Jill: Did you try putting any medication on it? If it's oozing and/or bleeding, you may want to try using an antibacterial ointment. I'm definitely not experienced in goats, as this is my first go-round with our 2 Nubians. We've had them just since January. Could this problem be an infected bug bite?
    the antibacterial ointment can't hurt, and might help. Good luck, and keep us posted.
    - Kathy in Cheraw, SC

5. Caren

Caren Well-Known Member Supporter

I called the lady that I have learned most everything I know about goats from and she thinks our goats may have Ringworm. Makes sense to me. She suggested Tinactin (used for men's jock itch) or a funguside (spelling) For my goat speciffically she recommended more Probios (good bacteria goats need) and Red Cell (highly concentrated vitamins).

Hope this helps you. She also said since my goat has it I'll get it to and to just use the same stuff on myself that I use on the goat.

Caren