Can dehorned does be kept with horned does?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mailman, May 30, 2005.

1. mailman

mailman Miniature Cattle

Can dehorned does be kept with horned does? I just bought a 6 day old saanan doeling. I have boer goats with horns. If I disbud the saanan, will it put her at a big disadvantage for protecting herself from the boer does?
    Thank you VERY much...Dennis

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

if your boers have horns, it will. but you can't put her in with big goats yet anyway. always put goats in with other goats the same age as they , so they have a fair chance to protect them selves.

3. mailman

mailman Miniature Cattle

Thanks for the input. I have the week old doeling in a pen by herself (kidding pen) until she gets older. What age do you think would be good to release her into the herd of boers? .....Dennis

[​IMG]

4. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

It depends on the animals. We have three does with horns. Our boss goat, Iris, is not quite 7, Sammie is 3 and Esther isn't quite 1. Everything else is either disbudded or naturally polled. The only time I run into a problem is when I have to pen them in close quarters in the winter for kidding. Then Iris and Esther require their own pen. Sammie can go with her big sister Baby but noone else. If they have enough space and your Saanen has a chance to bond with a goat with horns she will be better off. If they don't have a buddy they get picked on pretty badly.
    We have 38 goats by the way and have dehorned and horned together from the beginning. However, we did have one starve to death because of our oprignal boss doe with horns.

5. PLPP

PLPP Boer Lover

They should be ok. I have horned and Disbudded goats together. My friend has a disbudded and horned Bucks. The disbudded buck holds his own.