can computers be stored in attic??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Deb&Al, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

i'm in major cleaning/decluttering mode at our house, and have two desktop pcs that we are not using but they have to go somewhere besides underneath the dining room table. :)

can the processors and monitors and keyboards be stored in the attic, no heat up there, during the winter? what about the summer?

thanks.
    debbie

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

iff there is good ventilation is good if it is to hot or to damp it isnt good for the putor.

3. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

The biggest issue will be the internal batteries going dead (this is what holds parts of the configuration info.

Mike

4. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Make sure it's sealed up in a box so that it doesn't get dust inside of it. You may loose your time/date and other settings. Of course, once you unpack it, it could be terribly outdated ;)

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

In my experience, any time you "store" a computer, you may as well sell it, give it away, or recycle it. From my own experience whenever I can't bear to get of one, I hold onto it for a few years and then it is so out of date, it isn't worth dealing with.

6. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

if your gonna store them for more than a few yrs they will be obsolete then anyhow.. sell em off

7. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

the reason that i ask, and thank you for your help, is that i have an old software from 1993, that's a proprietary software, and it's used for court reporting transcripts.

it takes a disk from the steno machine, and translates the strokes and gives me a format with which to edit the transcripts.

well, to get updates each year, or every other year, it costs about 300.00. originally, the software alone in 1993 costs 2,400.00.

the program will only work on dos based computers, and those are gone now.

if my main computer that i use goes down, i'm trying to avoid having to buy all new stuff, as the old software won't work on new computers, etc., is to have a couple of backup computers.

i've loaded this software onto the computers, and know that everything is running well. i just need a place to store my backups.

by the way, the software today, if i had to buy the updated software, to go with a new computer, would costs me $4,500. that's not including the cost for the computer.

that's probably more than ya'll wanted to know, the that's the "method behind the madness"... :)

debbie

8. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

I have several of my collection stored -- mainly old "laptops"! Take the battery out so it doesnt burst and ruin the motherboard, box it up, seal and store. Be sure temp stays 40 to 100 ideally, dont let it get in the 130 or above range -- can still damage equipment. Same with dont let it get below zero -- can hurt thru expansion/contraction from the temp. I store mine in a heated attic at 70 -- take em down and play sometimes for old times sake!