Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Super Moderator
15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It s grey and dreary outside: it would be a most excellent time to putter in the kitchen. And I have a sudden yen to make my own cheese.

I have ordered both thermophilic and mesophilic cheese culture. But a thought has occurred to me: yeast can be used to make a sourdough starter. Can the same be done with cheese culture?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Edited to add: when cottage cheese is made, what do people like to add to the curd? More milk? Cream? Whey? Because I think that just the dry curd would not be as good when eaten with a spoon

· Super Moderator
15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know: I will try the ice cube trick.

Meanwhile the packets of bacteria have arrived, I have scalded the milk, and when it is cool enough I will start the culture working.

· Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,236 Posts
Add cream to fresh cheese curds. :)

45,236 Posts

· Premium Member
23,247 Posts
I tried the method where you dilute the cultures in milk, then put into ice cube trays for later use.

It was an abysmal failure, but it was most likely due to operator error.

Might try it again, before the goats freshen. I'd better do it quickly, though, because garden is gearing up.

Reactions: Alice In TX/MO

· I love boobies
1,154 Posts
I tried the method where you dilute the cultures in milk, then put into ice cube trays for later use.

It was an abysmal failure, but it was most likely due to operator error.

Might try it again, before the goats freshen. I'd better do it quickly, though, because garden is gearing up.
I did it for years with four different cultures and never had any issues.

· Premium Member
23,247 Posts
I did it for years with four different cultures and never had any issues.
Like I said, it was most likely operator error.

I'm sure that there are many people in the world who have done, and continue to do, cultures that way.

Probably should read/follow directions.

45,236 Posts
Cottage cheese IS bland. Hmm. It has no flavor other than the milk and the culture. Letting the culture develop longer MAY change the flavor a bit; I think a tad more naturally developed acid.

· Premium Member
23,247 Posts
I am disappointed because the cottage cheese that I made turned out bland. I added salt and a pinch of sugar but it is still bland.

Any advice?
Are you using cow or goat milk?

Perhaps allowing the milk to ripen before adding the culture may help develop more flavor.

· Super Moderator
15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I got the intensity of flavor that I was looking for by letting the culture work on the counter for 48 hours. The only trouble was, it tasted like mild sour cream!

I bought 2 different cultures: I will try the other one now!

45,236 Posts

· Super Moderator
15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have thermophilic and mesophilic. It was the mesophilic that tasted like sour cream.

In 2 days time I will taste-test the thermophilic culture and decide if I want to let it work longer. In either case I will mix some of the product ith fresh milk and put it in the fridge. The starter CAN be increased that way, though it means that there will be less of the additives that the company puts in

45,236 Posts

· Super Moderator
15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Overwhelming? Yeah, especially if your thermometer is broken and they want it held at 90%!

It will be cold tonight, and so after holding it warm to the touch for a bit I have put the working milk into a tupperware container and set it on the hot air register. That will keep it warm enough for part of the time, and since I began by scalding the milk the bought culture should be the only thing that can possibly grow.

"Weatherman Plus" predicts nasty weather for the next 2 weeks for most of the nation: it is good to have toys to play with!

· Super Moderator
15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Thermophilic culture has been working about 15 hours, and I like the taste a lot better. So I mixed it with a quart of milk and I set the container back on the hot air register.

· Super Moderator
15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I now have a good-tasting cheese going. The only problem is that I added the recommended amount of salt to the curds and that is WAAAY too much! I am now trying to soak the salt out of the curds before I press them.

It is now a nice mild cheese with a good amount of cheese flavor. I intend to serve bite-sized pieces at dinner tonight and see if DH also likes it.

And, this offers a free cheese making book, just..... I doubled checked my figures and the main site calls for WAY too much salt on the Colby recipe!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts