Can CAE and Cl be spread from goats to sheep

Discussion in 'Goats' started by YuccaFlatsRanch, Oct 9, 2006.

1. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I have California Red Sheep who are OPP negative and wife wants a couple of Boer goat Nannies to raise young goats for meat - she likes Cabrito and has plenty of brush to clear.

Can Cae and Cl be spread from goats to sheep??

If so, who has certified CAE and Cl free boer goats in the san antonio texas area??

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

cl can be spread from sheep to goat to horse to dog and unfortunately to humans too. with other words every warm blooded beeing can get it.
    cae is host specific. every animal has its own virus. in sheep it is opp, goats cae, human hiv and there is one for horse dog and cat. don't know how they are called,
    it is a good idea to buy only from healthy stock which will save you lot of heart pain and money.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

What I don't get, if it can be spread to MULTIPLE kinds of animals, why isn't more reaserch done on CL for a cure for goats/sheep/other animals?
    Arg.
    But I agree, get from healthy stock only. That means testing.
    Good luck!!

4. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I think the reason more research isn't being done on CL is because it's rare in dogs and humans. It's most commonly spread between goats and other goats or sheep and goats. I asked my vet why there isn't more testing done for a CAE vaccine and she said because it isn't spread to humans. It seems the diseases most tested for and cures worked on are ones more easily transmitted to humans, such as TB, brucillusis and BSE.

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

there are lots of research done on both dieases. thats why we have a vaccine for cl.
    cae is a very difficult virus. tons of research on this one also. it is in the same family as hiv=aids in human. since almost thirty years they where trying to find a cure. i think finally there is a vaccine that still needs to be tested but still no cure.
    bse has no treatment either. this is a disease that was recognized in humans as creuzfeld jacobs and i think before they found it in animals.
    in the meantime get only animals from disease free herds that test regularely and not only symptoms free.