Can anything other than Sheetrock be used for walls??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Lavndrgrl, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Lavndrgrl

Lavndrgrl Well-Known Member

Thanks. :benice:

We dont mind hanging the sheet rock but the mudding and taping and the sanding. :(

Would be curious to what else could go on the studs without sheetrock and wouldnt look to dated.

2. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

They had an article on the news this week about contaminated sheetrock out of China...filled with sulpher...was causing damages to copper pipes in such things as air conditioning, refrigs, water pipes, besides health issues....sure is a scary thought !!! They talked about one family whose dream home has become a disaster.......when will we ever learn !!!

3. Tegerian

Tegerian Teg

Wood paneling would be a choice, but some folks don't care for it. You could also try plaster but that's alot of work.

4. primal1

primal1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm going to be redoing my walls this summer i hope so I want to know the same thing. My house was built around 1880 so most of it is still wainscoting but I bet that would be expensive to do today.
    Some of the walls were redone in 1/4 inch hard cardboard type stuff, these are the ones i will be removing to re-insulate and i so don't want sheetrock.

5. Lavndrgrl

Hey Granny,

I saw that report. DH and I went through Katrina down here on the gulfcoast and are still rebuilding. The neat thing is I saw the report here on the board. This is such a good homesteading site. I am glad my sister turned me onto it. I turned to my husband and said in a way maybe the Lord delayed us from getting our sheetrock right after the storm. There are going to be a lot of people who lost everything in Katrina that are yet going to face another crisis. I have been praying for some folks that we know that got thier sheetrock up right away. Here I am feeling sad that we have not been able to get back in the house and all the while it could be for protection.

I heard someone once say "Rejection could be God's protection" :bow:

6. jhuebner

jhuebner Well-Known Member

part of the reason for plaster or sheet rock is fire retardant. It slows down fires. It also seals the wall.

We've got some 1850's horse hair plaster, we've got some 1940's 16" sheet rock w/ 1" plaster over it, and we've got modern sheet rock. All works, just have to "work with it" ...

good luck

7. primal1

I like them plank walls!

As a last resort if i had to sheetrock i had thought of using plank or thin moulding on vertical joints of sheetrock to limit the amount of tape and plastering i'd have to do.

8. watcher

watcher de oppresso liber

Wood planking, tile and anything you can use for flooring. I've seen carpet and rolled flooring.

9. Sawmill Jim

Sawmill Jim Well-Known Member

I had lots of popular lumber cut to go on our walls .If you got some tools wood is cheep right now .

10. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

We don't have any sheetrock in our entire home. The walls and ceilings are all made of wood. We kinda like the "dated look." What's wrong with "dated?"

This photo shows our walls (and ceilings) made with 6" knotty pine paneling.
    [​IMG]

This photo shows our guest room with walls of varnished shiplap boards.
    [​IMG]

This photo shows our entry way with walls of painted shiplap boards.
    [​IMG]

11. primal1

Beautiful place Cabin Fever!

Ripping up some old carpets and linoleum, i found an 8'x10' foot sheet of linoleum decorated with chinese style pigoda's(sp?) the colors are black, browns and blue rivers and it's complete on all sides with decorated border, I wish i had a wall big enough to hang it!

12. Pink_Carnation

Pink_Carnation Well-Known Member

Some of the fiber/carboardy type stuff can have asbestos in it so don't break it up or breath in the fibers.

13. primal1

Yikes! thanks for the warning, i'll be wearing a mask for sure!

14. lonelytree

lonelytree Well-Known Member

Sheet rock is not really too bad if you know how to install it, tape it and mud it the right way. If you have to sand more than a second, you are applying too much mud. I had a lesson from one of the best sheet rock guys in Alaska a few years ago and now can get professional results with little sanding or hard work. It is all in the tools, the consistency of the mud and the quality of the initial rock installation. I plan to use a bit in my cabin just to add some texture and color.

CF - you are spoiled rotten.

15. Lavndrgrl

CabinFever,

My Dh and I would love this look. Yall's place is gorgeous. This is not what I meant by dated. I mean where it looks like a cave and there is no light to the wood. Do you mind me asking how long this took you all to put it up? Dh and I are thinking of living out of a steel building where part of it would be a shop and the other part a living area. This looks so cozy what yall have.

Thanks everyone for the responces this site is soooo helpful. :clap:

16. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

We didn't put this "up"...our carpenter did. I have installed similar pine paneling in other homes tho. Installing tongue and groove pine paneling is much faster compared to sheetrocking. Using an air compressor and brad gun, the boards go up very quickly....and that's all there is to it. There is no taping and mudding and sanding like there is with sheet rock. Once the boards are up, just paint or seal.

17. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

I use "tongue and groove 8" carsiding for the interior wall behind the stove, exterior walls are milled "D" 8" logs.
    Both side are carsiding, back side is bathroom, and needed a studded wall for mechanicals.

I've seen alot of walls the use it grooved side out, at angles //// etc.

[​IMG]

One side is smooth w/ milled edges, the other has a groove 1/2 way, to match the milling.
    By turning it smooth side out, "almost" matched the logs, just a little off, but only noticeable in one corner.

18. Tegerian

Tegerian Teg

Love the paneling, the wife gets so angry when she watches those decorating/renovating shows where they tear out nice real wood paneling.

19. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

We have no sheetrock.

Wood paneling and wood trim.

It looks nice too :)