can anything be planted this late in indiana?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mel-, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

I'm in zone 5, south of indy and wondered if there was any kind of seeds I can plant this late (not plants).

is it too late for peas? what about turnips, lettuce, whatever else. I would only be able to plant seeds, no plants available here to transplant this time of year.

thanks for any suggestions!

mel-

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Mel, We have radishes just comming up. You are supposed to plant turnips the 25th of July wet or dry here??? If you have the seed you can try some early maturing things, but I wouldn't spend much cash on the effort.

3. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

uncle will,

I have some lettuce, turnip and pea seeds left over from the spring but didn't know if I should try them or just put them in the freezer for next year. the lettuce I thought about putting in pots so I can bring them inside or put on the concrete porch I have on the south side of the house. things don't freeze sitting on it nearly as soon as out in the open.

mel-

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

You could try a little of each and get a scientific trial of what to expect. I honestly have very little experience with fall gardening.

5. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

Nothing is better than fresh food from the garden in September, at least until the killing frost comes here in WI, usually sometime in September,

6. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

I say go for it any cold loving plant. Greens, ratishes green oinions things like that. If you have early frost cover with mulch plastic tarp anything you have will work. Seads are cheap.

7. mjl

mjl Well-Known Member

Hi Mel, I'm over in Ft. Wayne. I planted peas and lettuce a couple of weeks back and with all of the rain and a few warm days they are up and going strong. Anything that likes cool weather should be okay to plant. I think spinach and kale could go in too.

Margaret

8. ozarkin'it

ozarkin'it Well-Known Member

you should still be able to do spinach and beets

9. several of the chinese greens are cold tolerant. radish turnip anything fast mabe even some cabbage or kale of the faster varieties. also if you keep the plantings small you could always do a row cover for the first couple cold snaps.down here in 6 ornamental cabbage often makes new year in town with no protection. set up a few hay bales and old payne of storm window at nite and you can grow salads for sure.fruiting plants may not like the shortening days so don't know about peas but if you got the spare seed why not give it a go and see. I would count on low growing non fruiting things to give a yeild of at least something. radicio is suposed to be a cold lover. A bonus to fall plantings is crops like letuce spinich cabbage chard beets don't want to make seed or bolt.