Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what this is.
I had thought mites or lice and have treated with Ivermetcin. But it is not helping only one goat has it it has not spread two anyone else have treated at two week intervals for three treatments. not gatting any better. it is very crusty.
Thanks
Pam

·
Registered
230 Posts
it looks like scabies....a mite like the mange that takes a special dip to remove in dogs.

A simple skin scraping can eliminate external paracites....

·
Registered
230 Posts
I am trying to remember...one of the manges you can and the other you cannot....I think that scabies is not contagious to people, but I need to look it up.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Rain scald???
I had a doe with the same thing. Had the vet out and he had no idea. Finally sold the doe, never getting it stopped. Since then I was told by another breeder to try 3 doses of LA200 and also pour used motor oil down the legs. Now, I have never tried that. Never had another goat with those symptoms. So I don't know if that would work or not. Hopefully someone can helpout that has treated it successfully.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I had a doe who got this every year.We never could figure it out.She was boer. All of her offspring would get it too. I called the breeder and she said the mom would get it too.(no longer have her) We would dip her legs in a strong Iodine solution. It usually only took one dipping and it would clear up. My best guess is some type of heriditary dermatitis.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Whatever it is, it's pretty severe. Goats get a chorioptic mange,a psoroptic mange, a sarcoptic mange, a demodectic mange, lice, ringworm, and a hair loss/crusts for zinc deficency. the manges all have a different treatment- some will not respond to Ivermectin- and some can go to humans or other animals.

Any vet, even a pet vet, should be able to do a skin scraping and get a diagnosis & treatment. It will be money well spent. If your vet is flummoxed, there's a private practice vet, Dr. Tim Ness, who is a veterinary dermatologist and goat judge in Illinois. He might be able to do a consult. His info is in the ADGA directory.

·
Uber Tuber
6,287 Posts
The first time I ever heard of scabies was when my nephews were babies and received scabies along with hand me down clothes someone gave my sister. She washed the clothes before putting them on the boys. She didn't know they were infested, but oh my, how the poor kids suffered!

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
if doing a lot of testing isnt ideal in your situation try mtg on it, it helps with a broad spectrim of skin problems

·
Registered
136 Posts
We had bought a doe once that had that and the breeder said to mix a bleach solution and spray it down, but we had used Kopertox and sprayed it once a day and it had cleared up with in a few days.
Mellissa

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
We had the scrapings done on our goat. If it came back as some kind of mite the dept of Ag would Quarantine our farm . Thankfully it didn't come back as anything they could identify and it wasn't contagious only on the goats with the same bloodlines.It could get staff very easily because of the open sores. We did the Iodine treatment and yes it stung but it seemed to work.The MTG would probably work also and wouldn't be as drying to the skin. If it is on more than one unrelated goat I would get it checked.Beware though if it is one of the mange mites it has to be reported (at least in GA) because it can pass to humans and other animals.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't know a lot about skin things, but it looks like mange or something like that to me. I know goats are different than dog's; my mom had a dog that she recently was given and he is allergic to GRASS, he is fine if it is short grass but tall grass is just brutal on him. Currently this dog; has no hair on his legs and belly for all the tall grass that is on my mom's farm, he looks pretty sad right now. The other thing I thought when I saw the picture was rain scald, I know horses get it but don't know if other animals can or not.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It came up over night I know this cause when I feed I walk around looking over the goats it is a good time to do it cause they are too busy eating to keep turning away from me. I thought mange mites from my research. but since he has had it and is been treated for the mites no other goats show any signs of it so with the replys I am now thinking may be bactiral infection after allergy. if I cant get it under control will call in the vet.
thanks
Pam

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
Mange is CAUSED by scabies mites

Ivomec would kill the scabies mites so it's probably something else.

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?complete=1&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=scabies+mange&btnG=Google+Search&aq=[/ame]

·
Registered
805 Posts
Rain Rot- common this time of year- a form of staph. Causes pus filled zits on the udder.

Cleanse with a mild chlorox solution and then moisturize with a medicated bag balm of some sort. Should clear up in a week or so.....

·
Registered
266 Posts
I wouldn't put motor oil or bleach on it... I know my hands hurt scrubbing with bleach water sans gloves and that using bleach to treat thrush burns good flesh as well as bad.

Honestly, it looks like an allergy to me. My chow's butt looks like that in the summer if she so much as looks at a flea. Whiskey Girl never looked like that when she had her skin fungus [dusted her with athlete's foot powder].

1 - 20 of 38 Posts