Can anyone tell me how to replace an ignition switch?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ginnie5, Sep 27, 2004.

1. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

in a ford aerostar? Never done one before but fairly decent at fixing things.

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

On every Ford I own there is a small hole on the underside of the ignition switch. You put the key in then turn the key to the accessory position (disconnect battery first) then using a small pointed object (punch) push in the little piece of metal through that hole while continuing to turn towards the start position while also pulling outward and you now have the internal switch in your hand. Replace in the reverse order.

3. ginnie5

thanks! I'll take a look at it in the morning and see if it looks like it has that hole. Hopefully it won't be too hard to change it out. I used to do things like that all the time but have gotten lazy over the years and let dh do all of it. Now he's out of town and I am too cheap to pay someone else to do it.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ginnie, are you going to change the actually electrical portion of the ignition switch or the key portion? The newer vehicles tend to have the two mentioned parts in separate locations today. Check the wiring harness to determine if you electrical portion is actually connected to the back of the key portion prior to preceding. Good luck with the task. :)

PS..... disable the airbags prior to starting, remove the negative cable from the battery then remove the positive cable. Wait 2 minutes minimum before continuing the work.

5. ginnie5

its a 92 model and I'll be replacing the key part of the switch. It's been acting up and is getting to be pain. Its been on dh's list but he hasn't gotten around to it and now it will be a couple of weeks before he can.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

For a more simplified and hopefully an easy fix go to a parts store and buy a small tube of powdered graphite and put a good quanity in the key slot. Then insert the key and rotate the key. Do this several times then add more graphite and the unit should freely move. Wipe the excess graphite off with a rag as it is a dirty product.

7. ginnie5

replaced the switch this morning. It was really easy. Hopefully this has fixed the problem. It seems to be cranking better. If it's the other part of the switch its just gonna have to wait on dh to get home!

8. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Glad it worked out OK. Told ya it was easy :) (BTW a car thief told me how to do it)