Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
G

·
Unregistered said:
Look under:LEHMAN'S at www.lehmans.com for new wringer washers.
They have the Speed Queen listed w/ electric and gas engines.
Hope this helps. I am looking at one, because my five year old washer/dryer combo (Neptune stackable) quit on me. It will cost a third of the original purchase price to repair ... its computer board failed.
Isn't progress wonderful!! Helen
OK.I called Pearl at 1-888-438-5346.
The speed queen only comes in electric now,they do sell a generator to power it.So much for that.
They do have ONE maytag gas left.Its 855.00 dollars at the store.To crate add one hundred dollars,plus freight charges.Its their last one and they wont be doing any more gas conversions at this point in time.
BooBoo

· In Remembrance
13,039 Posts
Helen, thanks for the heads up on that brand of washer. Aren't they put out by maytag? We had a wringer washer years ago I was glad to upgrade to an automatic since I was the designated washer woman and my baby sis was using cloth diapers. We got a dryer at the same time and I was so thrilled to not have to hang things on the line. There were 5 kids in the family and my brothers were dirt magnets! Now I would be glad to have that wringer washer and two rinse tubs back again! :haha: :haha: :haha:

· Registered
10,443 Posts
uncle Will in In. said:
They weren't two cycle engines, but most of them smoked worse than a Harley Davidson.
They were 4 cycle on early Maytags and they were one cylinder (I used engine off one on homebuilt gokart as a kid), but later Maytags (white ones) were 2 cycle and 2 cylinder. I know, I had one. It did smoke. We had one goat that loved to come over and sniff the fumes. Didnt seem to hurt her.

To convert an electric you want a small 1 1/2 or 2hp Honda or BS engine (well unless you can get an original kick start type engine made for washing machine--they are pricey in good shape) Easiest to convert the older open frame washers but the ones with a skirt can be converted. You can buy stainless flex tubing to run exhaust outdoors, but make sure make connections tight and check for leaks. Dont gas yourself.

Oh if you arent real picky, I remember an article in old TMEN where a couple had their Maytag up against the wall inside their house, cut a slot through the wall to run the belt and had the engine outside on porch, mounted on a hinged board to provide tension. Interesting solution to problem of fumes inside the house. People can be very creative when they have to be.

And if you can make it fit, anything from 1 1/2 hp to 5 hp engine or even bigger if thats what you have should work. Bigger the engine the thirstier. Course you could change pulleys around and run 5hp at slower speed to turn washer at same rpm since it has more torque.

G

·
Unregistered said:
OK.I called Pearl at 1-888-438-5346.
The speed queen only comes in electric now,they do sell a generator to power it.So much for that.
They do have ONE maytag gas left.Its 855.00 dollars at the store.To crate add one hundred dollars,plus freight charges.Its their last one and they wont be doing any more gas conversions at this point in time.
BooBoo
The Sugarcreek Budget, the Amish weekly newspaper, has ads for gasoline engines adapted to be added to the square Maytag wringer washers. They are about $250. The motors are attached to a rod that clamps onto two legs diagonally opposite each other. Don't have a copy handy to quote the details

· Registered
7,025 Posts
Unregistered said:
The Sugarcreek Budget, the Amish weekly newspaper, has ads for gasoline engines adapted to be added to the square Maytag wringer washers. They are about $250. The motors are attached to a rod that clamps onto two legs diagonally opposite each other. Don't have a copy handy to quote the details
The more I read,the more it looks like just better to get a genny or inverter to run a machine,would be more versatile having a power source for more than just the 1 appliance.Cost wise,thats up to you if it would work or not.Think I will go inverter/stabler if we get offgrid.
BooBoo

· Offgridkindaguy
786 Posts
I operate a wringer washer with a generater. While I'm doing the laundry, I charge my battery with a charger. Works well for me. I could operate the washer on my inverter.

Lehman's has a forum... http://sonic.sparklist.com/scripts/lyris.pl?enter=lehmanslife

· Banned
6,575 Posts
Maytag doesn't make wringer washer anymore. Speed Queen is the only one. Here's the best Matag wringer washer links for machines for sale, restoration info, parts (including gas engines and how-to's), to determine the year of your machine, trouble shooting, etc.:
http://www.maytagclub.com/page-3.htm
http://www.maytagshed.com/

Incidentally, if you need a manual for a Maytag wringer washer - no matter what year it is -- just email or call Maytag and they will send you one free of charge! I got one from them for my 1940's Maytag wringer washer a while back. I called one day and it arrived 3 days later.

You also got me thinking about this coverting an electric to gas and I recall a Countryside article on that some time ago. I did a search and found that article appeared, along with diagrams, in 1997; although I couldn't get which issue.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.