Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Wood Nymph / Toxophilite
1,615 Posts
Besides grass hay?

We've fed straw before. In the winter when their nutritional needs were being met through other feeds and we just needed something so they would feel full and to keep them occupied.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Grassy hay, no grain.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
If she has to have grain, Safe Choice Special Care is low starch, lower sugars. But if she isn't working right now, she doesn't need high protein, you can go with a 12%. But good grass hay is your best bet, especially if she isn't being fed grain already.

·
Registered
953 Posts
No it's for my barrel racing horse she hurt her leg is on stall rest for 3weeks and she can't compete or be ridden for 8wk i don't want her gaining weight
What was she eating before?

I probably wouldn't change anything, just monitor her intake. Although a horse on stall rest will be bored; I wouldn't take away hay, but maybe use a hay net so that it takes longer to eat it.

·
Banned
85 Posts
If she has to have grain, Safe Choice Special Care is low starch, low fat. But if she isn't working right now, she doesn't need high protein, you can go with a 12%. But good grass hay is your best bet, especially if she isn't being fed grain already.
Safe Choice isn't low fat...It's low starch. Fat isn't generally an issue.

·
Administrator
19,424 Posts
No it's for my barrel racing horse she hurt her leg is on stall rest for 3weeks and she can't compete or be ridden for 8wk i don't want her gaining weight
I would strongly suggest you don't alter her diet too extensively because you run the risk of colic or an impaction if you adjust her diet too quickly.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Purina omolene 500
The Purina website conveniently doesn't disclose the NSC of this feed, but some internet searching suggests that it has a NSC of 31%? So...if that's true...practically everything is lower in starch.

Triple Crown Senior (11.7%); Low Starch (13.5%); Lite (9.3%)

Nutrena Safechoice Senior and Safechoice Special Care (can't get onto the Nutrena website today, so don't have the exact numbers)

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Whatever. I have used Nutrena Safe Choice Special Care on different occasions very successfully with horses that need lower starch, especially my mini's. If you have a brand other than what I use that you want to recommend, then recommend it, that is all I do when a question is posed. If you don't agree with the responses I give, then give your own advice, but stop slamming every single post I make that is in response to a direct question from the OP, not a response I am hoping you agree with.

As for Nutrena, they have been a fairly consistent feed company, more so than Purina, but I have used both successfully and am currently feeding Purina Ultium Growth and Purina Strategy. I have fed Triple Crown and am not impressed, it didn't do anything for my seniors, or my juniors that I fed it out to and I am not paying their price when the feed isn't doing what it should. Without good pasture, feed grain. With good pasture I would watch the condition of my horses and make the call of whether or not to feed grain.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Whatever. I have used Nutrena Safe Choice Special Care on different occasions very successfully with horses that need lower starch, especially my mini's. If you have a brand other than what I use that you want to recommend, then recommend it, that is all I do when a question is posed. If you don't agree with the responses I give, then give your own advice, but stop slamming every single post I make that is in response to a direct question from the OP, not a response I am hoping you agree with.

As for Nutrena, they have been a fairly consistent feed company, more so than Purina, but I have used both successfully and am currently feeding Purina Ultium Growth and Purina Strategy. I have fed Triple Crown and am not impressed, it didn't do anything for my seniors, or my juniors that I fed it out to and I am not paying their price when the feed isn't doing what it should. Without good pasture, feed grain. With good pasture I would watch the condition of my horses and make the call of whether or not to feed grain.
I hope you're not talking to me - I wasn't slamming your response. I actually feed the Nutrena Safe Choice Special Care...but the name is somewhat misleading because it's not *that* low in starch, if that is the main goal. As my vet says "I love everything about this feed except the name." My horses like much better than Triple Crown Lite, so it becomes an issue of actually getting them to eat it...and they are all too expensive to waste.

I feed Nutrena Special Care Senior too - but I preferred the Triple Crown Senior to the Nutrena Senior....however, my feed store closed and since my fat horses didn't like the Lite as well as the Nutrena Special Care, I switched all my horses to Nutrena.

I think most of the bigger brands can be perfectly acceptable; it's just a matter of knowing what you are getting. I assumed the OP had a sensitive horse and was looking for LOW starch (e.g. like Triple Crown 30% ration balancer), but since the feed it is already being fed is pretty high NSC, just about anything would deliver a lower starch alternative.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts