Can anyone reccomend...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by christij, Jun 25, 2006.

1. christij

christij Well-Known Member

Okay, other than one co-worker that use to raise goats I don't know anyone personally that raises goats to mentor me. (I am in MO outside of STL) I have read Storey's and have raising dairy goats successfully but I really want to know what I am doing.... I know alot comes from hands on experience (I now have two little NDs) and I have learned a lot by reading posts on this forum. But what else can I do??? More reading/any courses??

I really want to learn about nutrition, breeding sound/good dairy character, good milk production, and I would like to be as "pure" as possible ... I don't know if it's possible to be organic.... am I wanting too much?

Christie

2. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

christij if you can try and see if you can find someone close to you to help you understand goats better and also do lots and lots of research on the internet and read and read. I had someone to help me out with my goats and still do at times. Goats are fun to have but sometimes it can get right down rough. I'm not saying that to make you scared I just want to be honest and tell it like it is. I still have been doing lots of reading and learning. Goats can keep you busy on learning more and more about them also.

If you want to read a really good book on goat care get the goat medince book and Diseases of the Goat book both are very helpful.

Good Luck on your goats. :)

3. littledoe

littledoe Well-Known Member

Christie, I'm still relatively new to goats myself. I think you're doing all the right things by trying to gather as much info as you can. We really learn the most by just getting in there and getting our hands dirty I guess. It does help, though, if you can find someone close to you that has owned goats for a while. An experienced person is a valuable asset. I'm sure you already know this. There are several knowledgeable people at another forum that I visit. It's a forum for dairy goats. You'll find lots of great info there as well.
    http://www.dairygoatsplus.com/

Good luck with your goats. I know I've found them to be wonderful little companions. I raise pygmies along with some full size dairy breeds. They are very loving creatures. I've read that 'Raising Milk Goats Successfully', also. Good book. :)

Malissa

4. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Read Natural Goat Care by Pat Coleby. It is very good.

Kathleen

5. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

go to adga.org and find someone in the stl mo area w/goats. i guarantee there are some. if you can't find the member list, pm me and i'll grab my directory and help you out that way.

6. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

I too strongly reccommend buying this book...it is still my Goat bible after all these years...well 6 years, and still learning. :)

7. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

A subscription to the dairy goat periodicals, United Caprine News (monthly) and Dairy Goat Journal (every other month). There are several dairy goat clubs in MO, the addresses should be on the ADGA website. Join, or at least get on the mailing list. They may have a convention or "Goat U". Go to shows- dairy goat judges must give reasons why first place is better than second, second is better than 3rd and so on. The things that make a good show goat also make a goat with a long, healthy, productive life.

It is possible to do organic goat dairy- there's one near me- but the feed can be expensive if it is available at all.

8. christij

Thanks for all the tips.. DH got me a subscribition to the Journal as my anny gift! I have found a lot of goat people around Springfield but still looking for someone near STL!

9. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

Christy,

I just did a Google search for "Missouri Dairy Goats" and found this...it has contact info...hope it helps!!
    http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M10788

This person is supposed to be in STL

10. christij

We emailed a few times before I got any goats I was late in my pregancy and we thought we would be moving to Springfield, but end up in De Soto! I will try following up with her again.

Where are you in AR? My parents moved to Mtn Home.

11. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

I am about a hour and a half south of Mtn Home if you follow 65 straight down.
    If you are having trouble finding supplies email me, I sell goat supplies..as well as other livestock and pet supplies... m-ssupply@m-ssupply.com