Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,268 Posts
Heat just under a quart of fresh goat milk (or cow) to 120 degrees. Stir in 2 tablespoons Yoplait natural, unflavored, plain yogurt. Place in glass quart canning jar with lid on loosely.

Place in ice chest with a heating pad set on low.

Wait 8 hours.

Remove and refrigerate jar of yogurt.

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks so much....I had read some directions a while back that were similar to these and then yesterday I was reading some directions where they added powdered milk and gelatin and I didnt think that was what I had read before...so I wanted directions without those ingredients..

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
If you check out the Dairy forum under Country Homemaking, there have been several threads about yogurt. One of the big problems of home made is that it tends to be runny. Just yesterday I used a half-gallon of regular milk and a quart of half-and-half (they needed to be used quickly), heated to about 170 degrees and added about 1/4 cup live culture yogurt. It took almost 24 hours for the stuff to thicken, but it's still very thin. It could have been the yogurt I used for the culture; it was a sealed container that I found at the back of the fridge and probably not a very good choice as a starter. That's ok though, I'll just let it drip through a muslin jelly bag and call it Greek style yogurt ;)

I have had MUCH better luck making thick yogurts when using half-and-half and full cream. The yogurt comes out thick and smooth, but is REALLY rich and a bit too full-fat for my taste.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
I just use store bought whole milk. 1 quart milk, heated to 170. cooled down to 108. Then I add 1/4cup yogurt (or more if I have some left over). (I use a Dannon plain yogurt from the store. Look to see the line "live culture" or similar).
The quart bottle is then put in a warm place (I use our incubator for chicks!) and kept at 108 for a few hours. The longer you go, the firmer it is. Minimum for mine has been 4hours. Usually it sits 12 hours.

I've never had it be runny.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I use the light in my electric oven, stir the above mentioned Dannon plain yogurt (make sure the container says it has live bacteria) into a warmed quart of milk (skimmed is fine if you add some powdered milk to it). Stir well, pour into small plastic serving containers (Rubbermaid), and leave in the lighted oven for 8 hours. Creamy and yummy!

I make so much of it I finally bought some yogurt culture crystals. Re-using my yogurt to start the next batch only works for a few times. After that it's "mutated" and doesn't taste as good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts