Can Anyone Drill and Extremely Small Hole?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ken Scharabok, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

OK, spray paint nozzles aren't working. Does anyone on the forum have the capaibility to drill extremely small holes in 3/8" OD pipe - not much more than a shirt folding pin diameter? Am willing to pay for work.

Ken Scharabok

2. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

Ken,

I used to be a machinist. Several times we drilled the orifice in a part for Coleman lanterns. It used a drill around the thickness of a hair. We used a finger chuck, which is a tiny drill chuck with a straight adaptor. It clamped in a big 1/2" drill press. You grasp the flange of the little chuck and pull down against the spring loaded chuck and your fingers control feed rate and pressure. We didn't break many bits, but they did get dull after several parts.

Here is a link I found for a chuck like we used, down at the bottom of the page. They call it a micro drill adapter.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=315

3. Ken Scharabok

Then I also need a source of extremely small drill bits.

Ken Scharabok

4. Ken Scharabok

290-1291
    USA 0-5/32 JACOB KEYED ROYAL MICROSENSITIVE FEED Page 315 $89.95 ea
    $87.99 ea
    In Stock
    Add

290-1292
    USA 0-1/16 OJT ALBRECHT ROYAL MICROSENSITIVE FEED Page 315 $209.95 ea
    $199.99 ea
    Check Stock
    Add

290-1293
    USA 0-1/8 OJT ALBRECHT ROYAL MICROSENSITIVE FEED Page 315 $194.95 ea
    $169.99 ea
    In Stock
    Add

------------

A bit pricy. Thus, still looking for custom work.

Ken Scharabok

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Head right on down to your local welding supply house and get a pencel size torch cleaning kit, its a collection of very tiny drills, down to about straight pin size. The bit holder keeps the bits inside its body, they were $9.00 last time I bought one, the outer end is a bit chuck which you can put in any regular size chuck. The actual hole is about as big as the period displayed on your screen. These are real handy around carbs also.

Edited to add; the item is but only one of the many styles of torch tip cleaners, the ones that unfold like a pocket knife are not the drill type. Its usually machined aluminum with a knurled grip, and about 4 inches long.

I just found a picture at www.king-tool.com/industrial.htm type it in I cannot get the link to work.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ken, if you need a number of these holes in the 3/8 " pipe locate someone with an EDM (electronic discharge machine). This machine has the ability to burn multiple holes simoultaneously and with very small diameters. When I made semicounductors we perforated stainless steel plates making 988 holes at a time that were .020 diameter. It is possible to build a home version of the EDM. It is sometimes referred to as a spot erosion machine or a tap buster/burster.

7. Ken Scharabok

Link works for me. Will get a price from them.

About what drill bit size is a Caucasian human hair?

If my 1/4 drill won't chuck down tight enough, I might be able to wrap the drill bit in a bit of tape and just drill slow.

Ken Scharabok

8. agmantoo

the hair is approximately .0035 I have my doubts that you will be successful drilling with a 1/4" drill. You must control the down pressure and the movement of the chuck too closely. The sensitivity is not adequate with such small bits to know what is occurring and the operator cannot react prior to breakage.

9. agmantoo

The wall thickness of the 3/8 ' pipe is going to create a problem with the drilling. Precision drilling machines have their spindles in a fixed postion. These machines were made for use positioning tables. Positioning is accomplished by either mechanical or hydraulic methods and often use numerical control. Deephole drilling machines were made for thick wall drilling. A drill gets binded when the depth of a hole is four or five times its diameter, chips accumulate which interferes with cutting. For just this reason, many such drilling machines have the design to where the machine is inverted. These machines are able to withdraw the drill and clear the chips by injecting pressurized cutting oil or air at high pressure. If I better understood your task I feel that I could assist. The best method to achieve the small diameter is to install a preexisting component into a larger hole that is in your drilling capacity provided the design of what you are building will permit.

10. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Not sure how small they get down to, but my dad has some bits that are made for a dremel tool collet included, also not sure how tough they are or what type of material they ae supposed to go thru..... but they are small and not really to expensive if you already have the Dremel or similar type tool.

William

11. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

Here's a drill bit chart:

http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-drillsize.htm

You don't want to turn that tiny drill slow. Go as fast as you can possibly spin it.

Pull the bit out often to clear the chips. That is called pecking. Computer machines have a canned peck cycle.

On the sensitive feed chuck, the big drill press handle is locked and never moved. Then the micro chuck is fed down by hand, you feel everything. There is no mechanical advantage to it.

The parts we drilled went 1/4" deep, depth is not a problem if you peck often.

EDM might be the way to go.

12. Ken Scharabok

It is one hole per length of nipple, two nipples per forge.

What about drilling a larger hole and having it filled with brass or copper. Then drilling the orifice hole in that?

Ken Scharabok

13. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

Maybe a silly question but how about drilling out a manageable size hole and tapping in a jet from a carbi, pressur lamp, etc?

14. Ken Scharabok

The production forge I'm trying to develop is intentionally low tech. My requirements are off-the-shelf, ready available materials with no special machine required. I think there is a market for these 'poor boy forges' if I can get the gas orifice problem worked out.

Ken Scharabok

15. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
  16. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

Moopups,
    Thanks for links. You're quite a source of information.

17. highlander

highlander Member

why not just find a orifice from something like a stove or gas grill and use that, the holes on them are around the size your looking for, most are brass with threads that hold them in place. i gave you the idea now make it happen no drilling just retro fitting, rethink the problen you were on the right track with the srpay nozzels this is just the next step

18. Ken Scharabok

Again, I am trying to keep this as low tech as possible. I don't do any fancy machining and I don't braze.

Prompted by a PM, I think I have half the problem solved in switching from iron nipples to 1/2" copper tubing. Will be soft to drill and should work as well.

Am in the process of ordering bits from King Tools. They go down to #80, which is .0135. I will send them one of the cleaning tips from my oxy/ace unit which is the size I need. They will then match it to drill bit size. Was surprised, bits are only $1.25 each, but come in a six pack.

I am not trying to build a highly efficient forge capable of forge welding. Using the 80/20 rule.

Ken Scharabok

19. agmantoo

Ken,
    I have seen an alternate method of creating an orifice that can be replaced if needed. Using a plumbing union one can take it apart and sandwich a thin washer between the mating parts and then reassemble. It would be possible to use a piece of brass shim stock as a washer and then just use a sharp object(needle) and pierce to the diameter desired.

20. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

I have limited access to a KMT Superdrill which is a very precise EDM wire machine, I have burned holes as small as .1mm (.003936996")
    How big are the pieces you need to drill ?
    How many of them are there ?
    The machine isn't mine, but I'm sure I can use it if your drill bits don't work out, as long as it isn't too many parts, as the wire thats consumed is very expensive. (.1mm wire comes in a small tube of ten pieces and costs about $220. and it doesn't go very far)