Can a new mom over-feed?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by birdie_poo, May 15, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I checked on the newest kits, this morning, and was absolutely floored when I felt the tummies!! They were so distended/full, that I am worried they are getting too much...never had a doe feed that well before I guess.

And it's allthe kits, not like 1-3 of the 7 are getting a lot, it was every single one of them!

2. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

:) Thats great she's being a good milker ,, the more they drink the faster they'll grow ,, be prepared to give her a bigger water bottle or 2 ,, I have 1 doe who drinks a 2 liter bottle a day + when shes nurseing ,,

3. birdie_poo

I checked on her yesterday. It was bright so I could see in the box well. I counted 3 white and 3 brown and only 2 black, when I was positive that there were 3 black in there. I found it smushed up at the front, it was dead.

I guess I'm back to my original question, can a doe feed TOO MUCH? At this age, nearing open eyes, so about 10 or so days, it doesn't seem like muhc of a problem, since they will consume more as they grow, but I still wonder, was overfeeding what killed that kit?

4. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Birdie ,, I doubt it ,, since from your count today of 9 instead of the origional 7 you thought ,, its not unusual to loose 1 especially if she had a runt ,,

does do sometimes accidently step/stomp on 1 getting in and out of the nest when they're nurseing ,,

your right ,, at about this age you normally don't lose a kit but since they are lots more active now too ,, they're wriggling around the nest and sometimes get caught underfoot ,,

5. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

They can overfeed, but it has to be absolutely ridiculous, and for a doe having 7, I don't think it is possible. It would be if the doe had one or two. It shouldn't kill them, but they could get splay leg. But again, with 7 it shouldn't be a problem. Sounds like she is doing great! :)

6. birdie_poo

The one that died was actually slightly larger than the rest...no signs of trauma, nothing. At that age, and because of the size of the litter I wasn't about to do a necropsy...jsut took it in stride. This was her first littler so I am very impressed...don't see why she shouldn't be a good mommie, she has a great line...her great-grandmother was our very first doe.