Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I spelled that right. My almost 10 year old female sheltie has developed a very hoarse bark in the last couple days. I've had her since she was 8 weeks old and she's never had this symptom before. She acts fine otherwise, her appetite is good as always. Is laringytis something a dog can get or could it be something else? She does bark often, but not excessively. It's the same amount of barking as she always does, so I didn't think she had strained her throat.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Found this answer online:

"Cats and dogs catch viruses much in the same way we do, resulting in affected throats, noses and eyes. So yes it is possible for coughing, sore throat, and hoarseness to occur. Since antibiotics do not clear viruses, in cases such as these it is a case of allowing the virus to run its course. If however the hoarseness occurs for more than a few days I would recommend bringing him to your veterinarian to check for abnormality such as laryngeal paralysis."

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Some of the dogs in for boarding at the Vet loose their voices...but that's from barking so much. I think what beccachow posted is good advice. Keep an eye on her for any other changes in appetite/attitude/stool etc.. :)

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, beccachow and Minelson. I am taking her to the vet's Monday. I think she needs to be checked out. She is getting more hoarse by the hour, but seems fine otherwise.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Thanks, beccachow and Minelson. I am taking her to the vet's Monday. I think she needs to be checked out. She is getting more hoarse by the hour, but seems fine otherwise.
Great! That is the best thing to do...let us know what they say on Monday :)

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, my poor old girl has an infected sore throat. She got a shot and is on an antibiotic now. She should be fine. She sure doesn't like going to the vet's tho! Poor thing was a nervous wreck. Just wish there was some way I could make it easier on her.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
I am so glad that's what it is. I was googling for you and found all kinds of stuff about laryngeal paralysis, but it seems to be a lab problem primarily.

Antibiotics tend to work quickly, bet her barker is back to normal in no time! Just make sure to finish up the round of antibiotics even if she shows improvement.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Well, my poor old girl has an infected sore throat. She got a shot and is on an antibiotic now. She should be fine. She sure doesn't like going to the vet's tho! Poor thing was a nervous wreck. Just wish there was some way I could make it easier on her.

It's good you found out what it is...I bet the antibiotics start working fast and she will be back to normal in no time..:)
I'm glad she is ok

1 - 8 of 8 Posts