Can a Brick & Slab House be Moved?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ken Scharabok, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

They are widening a state highway in the area and taking out houses on one side as a result. A brick house on a slab has a sign out front saying it is for sale to be moved. How would they move a house like this?

Ken Scharabok

2. daileyjoy

daileyjoy Well-Known Member

pm Sancraft she knows a little about house moving she is looking into it right now.

Jennifer

3. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

I actually saw a house they'd done that to, although it wasn't a huge house (maybe 1200 sq ft). They had removed the brick and stacked it seperately, then jacked the house up off the foundation. Although, I can't say how they got it loose from the foundation. I saw it afterwards and it was already setting on the trailer. I bet it cost a pretty penny, but then someone might be interested in just the material too.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Its done here often, there are tunnels dug, large steel beams are installed under the slab, hydraulic jacks as placed in holes and they lift together. The moving trailer is backed under the beams then roars along at about 4 to 6 feet per minute to the new site.

5. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

They move the old government duplexes around out to the country around here.
    It's being done..

AngieM2

6. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

hey - brick and slab homes move all the time in california

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

When I had the brick veneer house moved (no slab) the movers simply jacked the house up and the veneer literally fell loose from the house. We did however move the chimney. Since it was a 2 storey, the top of the chimney was removed to facillitate power line clearance. After the move, I had the house bricked again and the masons built a facade around the exterior of the old chimney and you cannot tell the chimney is partially old and partially new. The brick inside the house at the fireplace do not match the exterior brick but no one realizes this but me and the mason. I did see a slab house moved and they did not move the slab. They braced the house and cut the bottom plate loose from the slab and at the new site set it down and secured the house to the new slab. Having moved a house and having the responsibilty of the new foundation I can tell you that you need to be able to measure and to get level. It will tests ones skills.

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................Every house , that I have ever seen while it was being moved....never had any part of a foundation attached too it. Solid pieces of concrete are much too heavy to haul down a public road , it just doesn't make any sense . With a pier and beam they dig ditches and remove pieces of concrete ...if necessary so they can slide large I beams under the structure and then jack it up . Then they decide how many pieces it will be separated into for the move . As far as a solid slab, they would have to detach any walls that were attached to the slab . Then it would be jacked up prior to transport. Again , moving solid pieces of concrete because it is attached to a home is not very smart in my opinion . Normally , you hire someone who will comeout and and poor a new foundation as it will need to be plumbed as necessary prior to the structure being lowered onto the new foundation.........fordy...... :eek: :)

9. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Ken I'm sure I read an article in Farm Show about a fellow who was moving houses complete with the basement. The people who moved my house made their name as movers by moving three story stone houses built in the late 1800's, across campus for Queens University (I think) when they needed the land to expand.

Shaynelle likes this.
  10. Ken Scharabok

Thank you. It never occurred to me they would move the house and not the slab.

Ken Scharabok

11. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Ken if your talking cement slab I've saw several moved like moonpups said: dig tunnels, put large steel beams under the slab, hydraulic jacks as placed in holes (in the steel beams) and they lift together. The moving trailer is backed under the beams then delivers to new site.

I've been told that a 1000-1400 sq.ft. home can be moved around here in the same county for about $3650 more if the home is to be resettled once delivered. My cousin bought a 4 bed log house back in 1999 for $1000 and moving fees. He got out for under $10,000. Delivered and set up.

KEN you thinking about expanding your holdings? :)

12. Ken Scharabok

No, it's a fairly ordinary brick ranch with little, if any, charm. Was just curious as to how they could move something like that.

Ken Scharabok

13. monty

monty New Member

Heard about a company that moved a brick house once. I'd imagine they never moved another one. (lawsuit). The house literally fell apart out on the road.
    Maybe it was really old, or something. There's a lot of weight in one brick. Just imagine thousands of them.