Can a 6 volt fence charger be changed to 12V?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jan 5, 2004.

1. I have a good 6 volt fence charge, but don't have a good battery. Can it be changed to a 12 volt and if so what would I need to do. I have several deep cycle 12 volt batteries and don't want to buy a 6 volt if possible. I am only going to use it as a back up in case the power goes out.

Thanks,
    Bob

2. Ken in Minn

Ken in Minn Well-Known Member

Yes you can go to a lectical store a ask about a resister,, they should know what you are talking about. If not get back to me.
    Ken in Minn

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Ken:

I have the same situation. I have one remote short section of temporary fence I need to keep charged. 6v charger, but I only have 12v batteries. Would like to use the one off the riding mower. Would you be interested in making up a in-line resister for me to purchase from you?

Ken Scharabok

4. Ken in Minn

Ken
    Just go down to your local electronics store, Radio Shack, ets. It will be much cheaper. Or stop at an older tv repair shop. anybody with a little bit of electrical knowledge should be able to help. If you can't find in your area, get back to me.
    Ken in Minn

5. Ken in Minn

Ken and Bob
    Did you ever find the right resistor, for the fencers?
    Ken in Minn

6. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Nearest Radio Shack is in Dickson, about 30 miles away. Circuit City is in Nashville, about 70 miles away. However, I have found if you go into Circuit City and ask a question more complicated than, "How much is this 48" Plasma TV" you get a blank look. Radio Shack is somewhat the same. A kid might know a PC frontwards and backwards, but not 12v vs 6v.

On my list of when I am in Dickson things.

Ken Scharabok

7. Ken,

I haven't had a chance to look, I may be able to stop by Radio Shack this week sometime.

Bob