Can a 110v 20amp service be split over two 10amp breakers

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by italybound, Aug 29, 2004.

1. italybound

italybound New Member

I live in italy and we have to use transformers to use any of our 110v appliances. I have a transf. that is 2000w with two 110v plugs with 10amp breakers. I have a cheap welder that uses 110v but 20amps. I want to use this welder but unsure if i can. So my question is can i take my welder, plug it into an outlet that is wired to both 110 plugs without creating a 220 circuit which would fry my welder?

2. aaatraker

aaatraker Well-Known Member

Have you tried running the welder on the 10 amp circuit most welding is not done at full power

sounds like you have two 110 circuits with a common neutral, combinding them would get yo a 220v circuit {checking with a voltage tester would tell you}

2000 watts / 110v = 18 amps so you won't get your 20 amps

THIS IS ALL GUESSING ON MY PART I WOULD HAVE TO CHECK THE TRANSFORMER MYSELF TO BE SURE, NOT SURE HOW POWER IS TRANSFORMED IN ITALY. { SHORT ANSWER...... NO!!!

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Let Me guess. I don't think hooking in to two 110 lines will ever get you 220 volts. That's like hooking two garden hoses together that have 50 lbs pressure in each hose. You may get twice as much water but you still only have 50 lbs pressure. Voltage in electricity equates to the pressure in air or plumbing systems.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You sure about that Unk? It seems to get my water heater 220........ or am I missing something?

5. aaatraker

aaatraker Well-Known Member

your 240 volt power panel on your house is two 120 volt lines with a common neutral if you go across them you get 240 volts seems that is what he was talking about doing
    kurt