Camping cooking

Discussion in 'Online Recipe Book' started by roadless, Apr 22, 2016.

1. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi all!
    I will be going camping next month with a group of new friends, there will be about 30 of us.
    We will be in groups of 5 to prepare a meal for the rest of us.
    I am looking for suggestions on breakfast, lunch and dinners for a crowd as I don't know what I will be assigned to.
    Please and thanks!

2. sharkerbaby

sharkerbaby Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll think on it but a couple quick questions first... How do you plan on doing the cooking? over fire, propane grill, inside RV, etc? Do you have/ are you taking cast iron dutch oven, skillet, etc?

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Get a big pot, maybe 5-gallon size or so. Fill it with cut up smoked sausage, onions, cabbage, and potatoes. A pound of butter. Pepper and season salt to taste. Add water to to cover everything. It you want, you can also add some sweet corn on the cob halves or thirds. Heat to boiling. It's done when you can easily fork the potatoes.

If you are heating on a campfire, soap the outside of the pot with dishwashing liquid....it will make it easy to clean when done.

4. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks cabinfever, that's sounds delicious!
    We will be staying in rustic cabins and cooking over a fire and I do have most supplies.

5. crazydave

crazydave Well-Known Member

Post #3 is probably one of the best meals ever, always a good idea !! Or at least, that's my experience over the years !!

6. Sourdough

Sourdough Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun group.

7. jwal10

jwal10 Well-Known Member Supporter

Chili and corn bread, spaghetti and garlic bread, taco's, enchilada casserole, beef stew....James

8. crazydave

crazydave Well-Known Member

Here's an idea that usually works well -
    Get beeeeeeeeeg pot, say 5 gal
    Dice 2# onion
    Add a couple diced green peppers, 2 T minced garlic, 1T each salt & pepper
    Saute, then remove ingredients, reuse pot to cook 5# crumbled burger
    Add ingredients back to pot
    Everyone brings 1 can of their favorite vegetable to add to pot, juice & all
    Heat to boil
    SOUPS ON !!!!!!

9. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Granted I'm glampimg more than camping but I just put a big pot of vegetable chili on to simmer. Smells delish. Served with tortillas, sour cream and grated cheese. Nom.

10. ed/La

ed/La Well-Known Member

Salads, fruits, yogurt, granola, boiled eggs. I make banana bread in dutch oven. Fast and easy. The old stand by (S) burgers, chicken or chops. Popcorn is fast easy evening snack. Cooking for 30 sounds like torture.

11. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

Hmm i keep it extra simple while camping,trout out of river and usually hot dogs and hamburgers

12. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

I went to a "gathering" once where they set out all the fixings for making omelets.
    Instead of frying them and making a big mess, they had a big pot of water boiling.

Everyone got a ziplock bag and put their eggs and whatever else they wanted in them, and then threw them in the pot of water until done.

You can even eat it right out of the bag and you already have hot water to clean any utensils or containers

Echoesechos and Oregon1986 like this.
  13. Teej

Teej Well-Known Member

Biscuits and sausage gravy is easy to do for a big crowd. We always used the canned biscuits and put them in a metal pie plate with another metal pie plate on top. Once one side was nicely browned just turn the whole thing over and brown the other side.

Put a beef or pork roast on top of aluminum foil in a big enamel roasting pan, add potatoes & veggies of choice, add a little water, seal the foil up well and place on a grill top over a low fire. Let it cook a good 4 or 5 hours, do not be tempted to break the foil seal to check on it. Turn leftovers into soup or stew for the next day.

Roast wieners, grill burgers, corn on the cob. Fried potatoes-slice a potato and a couple of onion slices over aluminum foil, salt & pepper, a couple of pats of butter and seal the foil. Toss on a grill top or in some coals you rake out right beside the fire, turn often for about 15 minutes.

There's really not much you can't cook over a fire. For that many people you may need to have either a really big grate to go over the fire or several fires if you only have smaller grates.

14. kellyon

kellyon Member

spaghetti carconara, pizza, roast chicken with potatos and some salad, grilled fish with vegetables, burgers, etc

15. Echoesechos

Echoesechos Well-Known Member

Bake some potatoes, let cool. You can do this ahead of time. Diced a big pot of the them, fry them up with some onions and green peppers. When that is heated and the onions and peppers are soft put a bunch of beaten eggs in and cook until they are cooked. Can eat as is or place in a tortilla with cheese and salsa for breakfast burritos. Campfire potatoes is what my family calls them.
    We will have this for brinner often.

16. AndyJorgen

AndyJorgen Member

If you have access to, and the time before hand to use, a dehydrator, go straight to YouTube and look up a guy by the name "hungry hammock hanger"

His recipe for BBQ spaghetti is out of this world, along with navy bean soup and a few others.