Homesteading Forum banner

Campfire Dutch oven cooking station

4K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Meinecke 
#1 ·
I have been looking to put in a permanent outdoor cooking station for my Dutch oven cooking, what do y'all use? Recommend? Ideas?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
We just use charcoal when cooking with our Dutch Ovens. We do have a tripod that we can use for hanging coffee pot, bean pots or Dutch Ovens over the fire.
We have thought about setting up a cooking station like what you have above but we haven't yet. When we go camping we always take our DO's.

#4 ·
I placed some field stones and broken concrete pieces near the old block milk house in the barnyard to make a hearth for dutch oven cooking. I make a fire in a woodstove in the milk house, now called the line shack. When I have coals I transport them with a little coal shovel to a waiting dutch oven. I would like to morter the pieces together to make it look a little more finished, but it works. One apple pie on each of the last two Sundays. Fun play.

#7 ·
IMHO, you don't need any "cooking station" for a Dutch oven. When I use my DO as a pot (stews, chili, etc) i just place it on a bed of campfire coals. Depending on the cooking time, I may add more coals under the pot.

If I'm using the DO as an oven (bread, rolls, pies, pizza), I also place it on a bed of campfire coals and add more coals on the lid of the DO.

If I were going to build anything for DO cooking, it would be a windshield to use when I'm baking in the DO on a windy day.

#15 ·
Is the flame hotter than coals? What other reason would there be for not cooking directly over a burning fire?
1-scorch- Heat spikes and heat focused on a small point can scorch, thick metal pots will only compensate for so much uneven heat. If you are cooking with hands full of wood and not logs, the amount of heat from a small flame lapping a cast iron pot should be ok.
2- soot- incomplete combustion, open flames can be fairly clean burning, but if the flames touch something cool first, it can cause incomplete sombustion, and deposit soot on the pot.

The problem I have with heavy cast iron pots and "tripod pot holders" is poor access to the pot. I like to be able to easily pull the pot off the fire to control heat spikes, and to be able to move the pot to diffrent spots, over or near the fire, to control the heat, After I quickly boiled the coffee water in a hot spot I like to place the pot of brewed coffee beside the fire to stay warm. It is easier to move the pot than move the fire, if you have the right equipment.
I also like to pull the pot, to inspect, stir or add ingredients, and to dispense/serve.
That is the reason I use thinner pots and " monopod pot holders"

#16 ·
Is the flame hotter than coals? What other reason would there be for not cooking directly over a burning fire?
Absolutely flames are hotter than coals. Do you own test. Hold your hand 5" over coals and then 5" over flames.

To put campfire flames in perspective, just look at the volume of flames on your stove's rangetop set to the highest setting....not really a lot of flame compared to the flames from a burning campfire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.