Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a camping trip next weekend with my church's youth group. I am "that guy". I must have coffee.

I'm doing a little preparation to get my coffee just right using a ceramic coated percolator. I put in my usual 10 cups of water and 5 big spoonfuls of coffee.

It tatsed weaker than usual and had a slightly burned taste. Any suggestions?

Attached are picture of the pot and the instructions that cane with the pot, which I followed except for the water and coffee amounts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,069 Posts
I make Swedish egg coffee on the campfire. In a small bowl I mix coffee grounds and an entire egg (shell and all). 1T coffee per cup water. When the water starts boiling, dump the coffee/egg mixture into the pot. You kinda have to be careful because this can foam up over the sides of the pot. After boiling for a few minutes, I dump in a cup of ice cold water. This will settle the grounds to the bottom of the pot.

I guarantee this will be the smoothest richest coffee that you've even drank. And, don't worry. There is absolutely no egg taste.
1.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hard pass, lol. I drink coffee for the safety of the general public and my morning coffee is a dangerous thing to experiment with.

I make Swedish egg coffee on the campfire. In a small bowl I mix coffee grounds and an entire egg (shell and all). 1T coffee per cup water. When the water starts boiling, dump the coffee/egg mixture into the pot. You kinda have to be careful because this can foam up over the sides of the pot. After boiling for a few minutes, I dump in a cup of ice cold water. This will settle the grounds to the bottom of the pot.

I guarantee this will be the smoothest richest coffee that you've even drank. And, don't worry. There is absolutely no egg taste. View attachment 81970

·
Premium Member
6,599 Posts
Don't put it directly on the fire. Indirect heat, just enough to get the water boiling. With a percolator the longer you let it perk, the stronger it will get. It will also start to get more bitter.

While you are still at home, experiment with a few pots until you get the strength right.

My family uses a drip pot while camping, but one of those coffee presses would work well.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,097 Posts
I am absolutely definitely a GOOD coffee person. It's too far to a good coffee shop. The grocery store coffee isn't cutting it any more after a five day trip to New York with a coffee shop three blocks away.

Folgers tastes old. I'm working my way through the small bags of roasted and ground coffee with exotic names. So far, nothing seems to measure up.

I tried the Black Rifle coffee, but it was over roasted. My neighbor drinks some brand of cowboy labeled coffee. It was acid.

I'll just keep trying, one cup at a time.

·
Premium Member
5,622 Posts
I would bring the water to a boil, add the coffee and remove from heat. Not using the percolator parts. Bit of cold water to settle grounds, place just close enough to heat source to keep it warm but not reboiling it. You may still have to strain it through your teeth if you get it boiling again.

·
Banned
17,258 Posts

I guarantee this will be the smoothest richest coffee that you've even drank. And, don't worry. There is absolutely no egg taste. View attachment 81970
what happens to the egg?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
You can order a French press that’s made of stainless or plastic. I used the plastic one for camping for years until my dog ate it. Check amazon, or any big camping store should.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I boil the water over the camp fire, then pour the water into a cup with a spoon full of instant coffee.

·
Premium Member
18,069 Posts
what happens to the egg?
It settles to the bottom with the grounds. The egg actually "glues" the grounds together into clumps that settle readily. There really isn't any coffee grounds floating around in Swedish egg coffee to ruin your morning java experience.

Swedish egg coffee is a real thing. Just giggle it and you'll find lots of websites. In fact, a booth at the Minnesota State Fair specializes in it.
View attachment 82038 View attachment 82038

·
Premium Member
18,069 Posts
Lol I belived it was real but I’m going to Giggle it anyway.

Does it make the egg taste funny?

Lol
The coffee has no egg flavor whatsoever. If you eat the egg clumps left in the bottom of the pot, you'll also be eating all of the coffee grounds....yuck!

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,895 Posts
Reactions: Cabin Fever

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,097 Posts
GOFLMAO.

·
Registered
841 Posts

I got sick of wasting eggs and found this method. Same method without the egg.

s

·
Premium Member
18,069 Posts
I got sick of wasting eggs and found this method. Same method without the egg.
Same method, but the grounds in Cowboy coffee can resuspend or stick to the edges of the coffee pot even after adding the cold water. With egg coffee, the grounds are stuck together by the egg into clumps. These clumps stay in the bottom of the pot and do not resuspend. The calcium in the egg shell also neutralizes the bitterness that some coffees can have.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts