Campfire cast iron oddity?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mammabooh, Oct 21, 2006.

1. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I have an odd question for all of you cast iron cooks. I made apple crisp in my dutch oven and cooked it in the coals today at ZealYouthGuy's Buckeye Campout. Well...every part of it that touched the cast iron turned blue-ish purple. It looked like blackberry apple crisp. It seemed to taste fine, but the color change was so odd! Could something that I had cooked in there previously have affected the apples? I'm baffled.

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm guessing it was some iron oxidation. Nothing to worry about.

3. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Not sure, but it sure TASTED good!

4. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

It turns purple when there's love in every bite! :)

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Whatever you do don't eat it! I believe it has something to do with causing memory loss...but I can't remember.

6. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

That happens when I leave food sitting in my castiron skillet (or whatever) for awhile. Nothing to worry about. It will taste the same.

And the memory-loss thing has to do with aluminum, not iron. Castiron actually ADDS iron to your diet, though whether it's soluble (and therefore usable by the body) is questionable. But if it's not soluble, it'll just "drop through" your system. :)

7. mammabooh

Well, thanks Zeal and Melissa! I'm probably going to have to eat the left-overs...hubby is scared of it, I think! He kept saying "but why is it BLUE?".

Beeman...you're silly.

8. ArkansasLady

ArkansasLady Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had several things turn blue or purple when cooked in my iron skillets...
    something I think to do with the reaction between the food and the iron
    ~C~

9. omnicat

It's mostly purple when I see it. (maybe it would be blue if I noticed it sooner?)

10. tuvold

tuvold Well-Known Member

Hey,

I cook apple dumplings and pies in cast iron all the time. It happens occasionally. Might have something to do with the acid content of the apples. Cast iron is the only thing I bake in. My Greatgranny, who I got the apple dumpling recipe from, lived to be 108. Never seemed to hurt her. :shrug: :p

My 2 coppers,

tuvold

11. SmartAZ

SmartAZ Well-Known Member

I tried that once but everything turned yellow and brown. I've tried all the tips regarding cast iron and I just can't believe anybody ever actually used the stuff. Gimme stainless steel any day.

12. Fae

Fae Well-Known Member Supporter

My Grandmother was allergic to iron but was anemic. Her doctor told her to use cast iron(which she did anyway) and find a well with iron water. Don't know if it helped but it didn't hurt. I don't cook tomatoes in cast iron because of the reaction. You can taste it too.

13. omnicat

Half my cookware is cast iron. I love the stuff. Love how it holds heat, and slow to burn food - since it's lots thicker than stainless. They both have their points.

14. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Aluminum will do that, too, like my lasagna with purple polka dots on it...held up the tinfoil to the light and it looked like acid had been sprayed on it and ate it away.

15. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I do not bake the same way that you do in my dutch ovens. Whenever I bake, I always put the pie, cake, bread, rolls, pizza, or whatever in a pie or cake pan that sits inside of the dutch oven. I suspend the baking pan over a hand full of stones that are on the bottom of the dutch oven. This method has two advantages. (1) The dutch oven doesn’t get dirty and therefore does not need cleaning. And (2), I am less likely to burn the outside edges or bottom of whatever I’m baking.

16. mammabooh

That's what I normally do too, but, since I was cooking for a crowd I wanted to get more in there. Looks like I'll go back to using a pie plate!