Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,251 Posts
I bought some melamine plates and some cheap- 1.99 for 12 pieces, flatware made of real metal! It was distinctive so ir wouldn't get mixed up with our regular stuff but the first time I stried to spread peanut butter would you believe the knife blade bent and almost snapped off? I had bought enamel wear bowels (thinking unbreakable) but they were terribly heavy and after thinking about it I don't think I mind the grandkids disney character plastic bowels.
I got cheap plastic ice tea "glasses" with an insulating wall but they still sweat. When I was at the party store I saw they had unbreakable plastic pitchers and glasses for a lot less than the camping suppliers- next time I'll go that route!

·
Premium Member
9,251 Posts
Oh- I had Grandfatherbear's mom's oldest griddle for frying and an old 2 1/2 qt saucepan for boiling and heating. That sufficed for the 4 of us.It was stuff that I wouldn't really miss if it got damaged.

·
Banned
1,811 Posts
What's melamine? Is that like Corelle? That's what I use. Lightweight plastic glasses, minimal pots and pans, flatware from Dollar Tree. I keep all the flatware in an oblong Gladware container--yes, all jumbled up together--that fits nicely into one of the little kitchen drawers. I've found it's preferable to be able to easily seal up the utinsils rather than having them in a sectional thing. That way, when you're not using the camper, and a mouse gets it there (it happens!), you don't have to wash all the flatware. Also, when we winterize the camper, I put the supplies of toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, etc., in a clear plastic box that fits in one of the cabinets. I've found if you prepare for the mouse, he won't come. But as sure as you don't prepare for him, he'll go in there and poop over everything and make a nest with the paper products. By the way, I do keep a supply of paper/plastic cups, plates, utinsils on hand all the time, but when it's just DH and I camping, we usually use the "good" stuff!

So you DID get the camper, huh? Good!!! :clap:

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nette: I transfered the money and spoke to the man last night. He is working out of town until Friday but I guess it will be ours IF he ever comes back home! :)

Thank you all- for your ideas, tips and suggestions. I hadn't thought about the 'vistors' yet. I guess, on Sat. I will start gathering and place it in 'our' camper. I was a little afraid of the purchase but we decided to get it and now I am excited about it and afraid it might fall though!! Keep your fingers crossed..Thanks again.. Queen Bee

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
I use corelle in my trailer and have never had a plate broken. We've had the cabinet door open and them fall out, so they have held up well for me. I use ceramic mugs for our coffee and tea cups, we have stainless steel cups that we use to drink from and we use metal flatware. I'm not a real big fan of plastic. I just use regular cookware including some cast iron.
Dawn

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Try enamel ware ,the metal plates cups and bowls, As well as pots and pans. The flat ware is made that way too. the mfg. that comes to mind is Sinca? I Am not sure of the spelling But Most sporting goods stores sell them..

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I used to keep the camper stocked with plastic plates, bowls and travel mugs with lids from the dollar store. Silverware, cookware and utensils were found at garage sales and thrift stores. I also kept handy those wicker paper plate holders and a good size supply of paper plates. They are burnable so we reduced the amount of garbage to haul before bed.

In reality your going to want to set up a mini kitchen. Knives, mixing spoons, bbq stuff, cutting board, bowls, spices in baggies or small resealable containers. If your camper has its own its much simpler to pack and unpack. Those 3 tiered hanging mesh baskets and plastic shoe boxes are real space savers. Let the dollar store be your friend.

Look around the net for free samples of soaps, shampoos, first aid, otc medicines and foods. Their small size is easy to pack into those plastic shoe boxes to help keep you organized.

An orginizational tool that worked well for me were those plastic totes. The kids shared one to put their clothes into, another for the adults, and one for camper stuff like tools or balls and another for food. They could be stored outside eliminating clutter and by using a color system I knew which one I wanted.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
:nana:

Have been laughing since I read your first post, Grandmother Bear. You will see what I mean if you read it again.

Seriously though, we have been getting all that extra stuff together for our 5th wheel. I got tired of hauling equipment back and forth so now have the duplicates such as flatware, coffee pot, pans, toaster, and cooking utensils permanently in the trailer. Still haven't decided on the type of dishes or glasses to use. We sometimes warm food in the microwave so the plates should not be plastic. Paper plates are okay but for a long trip I'd prefer solid plates and non-plastic glasses/mugs. On a recent camping trip I brought my best Corningware casserole and thought it was well padded...wouldn't you know, it broke on our way home...found another on e-bay.

Foods that those critters can get into are now stored in a sealed plastic container. I learned the hard way that mice will eat what you least expect them to...chocolate bars and coffee in bags. They didn't touch the marshmallows though. What a mess they made! We've read on the RV sites that Bounce fabric softener sheets or cotton balls moistened with peppermint oil placed in the drawers/cupboards will keep the mice out. However, the softener sheet fragrances overwhelm me. One RV site I like especially for the cooking section is: www.rv.net

Nappy

·
Metal melter
7,154 Posts
We bought ours from a friend and it was already stocked. We use Corelle plates and bowls and regular silverware. There are several fun mugs in there also that make drinking coffee and cocoa around the camp fire quite fun.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Nappy if you know where the mice are getting in they don't care for the taste of steel wool. Pack those holes with it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
There is four of us and we each got a color, red, blue, green, yellow. Melamine plates, bowls, cups, real silverware and teflon coated pans. We also followed though on the colors for towels, washcloths, and sleeping bags (tags sewn on). Kids would use their own towel or washcloth over again but not someone else's. We also kept paper plates for a lot of meals. The assigned colors cut down on a lot of dish washing and laundry.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
jer I love the idea of assigning a color to each person. Not only can it help a person stay organized you know who to yell at instead of the usual gripe to the "not me" ghost.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Melamine is a good choice as it is lighter in weight than Corelle. Less weight to pull around means less gasoline burned.

Melamine is a form of hardened plastic much like Bakelite, which is like the handles on toasters, waffle makers, etc. Bakelite has been around for decades but is more brittle than Melamine. Melamine was very popular in the 1960s, maybe late '50s. Pink, burgundy, dark green and pale green were the standard colors.

For decent metal flatware that is fairly cheap either hit garage sales for the older stuff or buy restaurant ware at Sam's Club or another such place.

Unless using an open fire to cook over I would recommend against cast iron simply because of the weight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.